Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wally, I understand your argument....however you have overlooked at least one other possible conclusion:

Good winter tyres + ABS = Shorter stop than compromised tyres and no ABS.

If only I weren't living over here in Denmark, I would be happy to drop by and demonstrate just how well my Impreza stops. :cool:

For your ABS problem, read the attachment in this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54156&highlight=abs

I'll take safe over sorry and I'll keep my ABS fuse in and good tires on my car.

I'll Take driver skill and input over ABS. I know how to make the brakes do what the abs was designed to do, keep control, but do a better job, with no malfunctions to compromise that.

Wally, I understand your argument....however you have overlooked at least one other possible conclusion:

Good winter tyres + ABS = Shorter stop than compromised tyres and no ABS.

If only I weren't living over here in Denmark, I would be happy to drop by and demonstrate just how well my Impreza stops. :cool:

you overlooked my statement. i had good winter tires, brand-new hankook snows, yet still the abs prevented the car from stopping. as soon as the abs system was disabled, the car stopped when i wanted it to. haven't had a problem since, and that was 10 years ago.

Well, I guess I did overlook that :eek::)

Still...what was your reaction to the pedal pulsing? You really have to stomp on the pedal, and keep the pressure up.

I know that a locked wheel, that can dig into the snow is very effective at stopping the car, but it is almost useless on ice or compacted snow. You need studs for that to work.

If you do keep the pressure on the brake pedal, you will find that the ABS allows momentary lock-up, before releasing the wheel again. Lots of pulses, lots of little lock-ups. Ultimately, its the period JUST before the wheel locks that will yield the best braking. You only get this ONCE without ABS, but you get it many times when the ABS is pulsing.

I understand that you can pulse the pedal yourself...ABS wasn't common when I took my license. However, even the 4 pulses per second that first-gen ABS pumps are capable of....to each wheel individually....you can't compete with that.

Still...this is all internet discussion....it would be cool to test it together, with a host of different tyres, both in type, brand, and age....and a sheet-ice covered run-way :banana:

i kept firm, even pressure on the pedal. car kept sliding right on through the intersection (and the red light). i got lucky that i didn't sideswipe anyone, or have the same happen to me.

after discussion with my brother, who is a mechanic, i disabled the abs unit by unplugging the connector on the valve body.

i've never had a problem with stopping the car since, in far worse conditions, including ice. that's good enough for me.

i don't claim to be the world's greatest driver. but i do have a pretty good background and a load of experience in winter driving and non-road driving.

the vehicles keep getting dumbed down with more technology so that less competent drivers can handle them in worse conditions (in theory).