Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 LOYALE..new to me low oil pressure

5 spd man. Push button AWD. 195,000. I picked it up cheap, but spent some bucks licensing it, and getting the exhaust done up. Well since then, it ticks really loud. I changed the oil and used high milage 5W30. Still ticks, and oil pressure seems low to me. At idle it's barely above 0. If I rev it up, it will slowly jump up about midway. I poured some of the anit-smoke, honey like stuff in it, and it helped a little, I think.

I poked around in here on the low oil pressure causes. Most of the solutions are over my head. Seems like if I'm gonna do it myself, I'll need a Haynes manual?

1. How interchangeable are some of these parts, with an 85 Brat?

2. How long would one expect this engine to last mainly highway driving?

3. I have a spare 1.8 na engine from a Brat in my garage, interchaneable?

My Brat runs great, the Loyale, not so much:(

I need to decide which direction to go with this Loyale...I really like it.

Ain't she purdy?

2011-01-14_15-47-11_753_1.jpg

2011-01-14_15-46-13_242.jpg

2011-01-14_15-45-36_207.jpg

I agree it's a nice looking sedan. Too bad it's got an ea82. I don't know much about how to maybe make the oil pump you have work better, but if you bought a new one they're not impossible to install...unless the car has a/c. They're right in the front of the engine so it's nice to be able to remove the radiator to get to it, but if you have a/c its radiator is not removable without losing all your refrigerant.

As far as compatibility with the brat engines, those should be ea81s, so the oil pumps are not interchangeable. (ea82 oil pump is timing belt driven while ea81 is camshaft driven)

If the spare brat engine you have is good, you could consider just driving your car the way it is till it dies (which will probably take a while) and then swap in the ea81. It will bolt directly to the tranny and car but you might have to get creative in order to keep power steering and a/c as those pumps are different between the two engines. That's assuming your ea81 has those pumps, as a lot of them didn't. You wouldn't have to mess with any wiring because you can take the intake manifold from the ea82, put it on the ea81, and keep the fuel injection that is the best aspect of the ea82.

If your gonna go to the trouble of swapping engines though, you might consider just pulling your ea82, putting a new oil pump on it, and dropping it back in. Of course it would only be worth pulling the engine if the car has a/c and you've never replaced one of these oil pumps before. (It can be done with the engine in the car but you can't see a darn thing.)

Great news folks. The A/C radiator has already been removed. I really don't need A/C anyway on it. It's great to hear the Brat engine will fit. I don't need no stinking power steering anyway:grin:

I have that PDF that was floating around on here years ago called "How to keep your Subaru alive" That should show me how to replace that sensor? our would I need to get a Haynes manual?

I'm also not completely convinced the engine is ticking so bad. It almost sounds like it could be a pinhole leak in the exhaust.

There's a guy on here who makes custom brackets for mounting ea82 alt and PS to an ea81 for conversions like you're thinking of doing. I can't find it at the moment, hopefully someone else can chime in with the thread.

I actually have the prototype (I'm pretty sure) on my GL, it works great!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99323

It seems bratman bought the first one, and I now have that car.

Edited by 987687