Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so Im looking at buying a 97 legacy 5speed it has no insurance or current registration so I could only drive it around the neighborhood. Runs really good even though owner says car was stolen and they took the cat and radio before the police found and returned??? I think something may be up with the abs as he says the light comes on sometimes and that he rewired some sensor that had been cut when the cat had been removed? So my question is if the abs is out will the cruise still work? The brakes seemed pretty good other than just a little bump when applying hard to stop? How hard are these abs brakes to work on? I think I may buy it as its at less than 200,000 miles no rust very dry no leaks and a 1000.00 bill! Thanks for all your excellent input!

Edited by jazzmandolin

i don't think the abs wiring goes any where near the cats. so it may have happened at the same time but probably not because of the cat removal. the ABS problem could be build up on the sensor, metal filings or rust. mine has set a light in heavy snow.

cats are more than $100. rather than buying a generic inexpensive cat, i would buy a cat off of some one parting out a car. often, a used subaru original part is a better buy than a new after market part. (there are a couple in NC, raleigh / greensboro, maybe) the used parts yards can't sell cats and the metal scrap companies around here don't pay much for them, $15 - $20.

this guy has the whole car for sale. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/2193314680.html

FYI, the timing belt is due at 180k and if he had done it already he would have said so. that will run you 600 - 800 at a shop, maybe more. if the belt or an idler fails you will be looking at a head job instead of a timing belt job. it would likely cost double.

if the car is clean and you like it then i would try and talk him down a little and go for it.

let us know what happens.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks for the reply, I am having a hard time making up my mind on this one! I have really been looking for 95 or 96 mainly because of the non-interference motor difference and I like the body style better than the earlier legacy wagons although I would probably pop if I find what I think is a good deal on a legacy 90 to 94. Ive been looking fairly hard for the 90 to 96 legacy wagon with 5 speed and working cruise control and AC without much luck! :( this is the only reason I am even considering this 97 and rethinking this deal due to the 97 having the interference motor, knowing that the timing belt & tensioners need to be done and the monies for the cat, and possible brake work is making me think I should keep looking for what I consider the perfect ride! Still on the fence but leaning towards not buying! I have until around 10am Sunday to decide by then he will probably have it sold to someone else!? Thanks again for the input Peace out

Edited by jazzmandolin

jazz, did you see this one? better hurry.

it could need a valve / head job but until you look, who knows? maybe fairtax could diagnose it for you. he lives up there. maybe the timing jumped??? if it does need an engine offer $400.

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/2208370442.html

1995 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon - $800 (Lake Monticello)

Date: 2011-02-10, 11:25PM EST

Reply to: sale-r3ypa-2208370442@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1995 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon, 178,000 miles, Automatic, AWD, ABS, PS, PW, PL, AC, CC, AM/FM/CD stereo, sun roof, spoiler, fog lights, front passenger airbag. Well maintained incl. regular oil & filter changes. New brakes, new starter. Interior in great condition. Runs but engine needs some work (possible valve job). 2nd owner. Left front fender has a small dent from a deer running into it. If interested, email me and we can arrange a time to see. Located at Lake Monticello.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3kf3m13p45O35S15R5b2ad37bd9a305a9145b.jpg3n83kf3pc5O55T35S4b2a9e3e54b69d641476.jpg3n53k43m15Y05U35P5b2a0174c5d5f1831efa.jpg3n03p83l65V65W45U5b2a84bebd763c9e154f.jpg

Edited by johnceggleston