Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I never knew suspension ball joints can explode when repairing

Wow. Just wow.

Do you always need to heat them up? I think I need to do this soon for my 86 GL. I've never replaced ball joints before, and now I'm a bit less than eager...

..on an '86 you don't have to do that.."loosen or remove" completely the nuts on the sway bar attached to the swing arm.."just loosen" the nut on top of the ball joint..."remove" the bolt completely holding the bottom of the ball joint..useing a long steel bar, 4-6ft long pry up on the swing arm to lift the ball joint out of the socket...pb blaster will help..

..on an '86 you don't have to do that.."loosen or remove" completely the nuts on the sway bar attached to the swing arm.."just loosen" the nut on top of the ball joint..."remove" the bolt completely holding the bottom of the ball joint..useing a long steel bar, 4-6ft long pry up on the swing arm to lift the ball joint out of the socket...pb blaster will help..

That's a relief. Thanks! It sounds like this procedure is a lot easier on Subarus than it is on other cars. Reason #487 to own a Subie.

Many comparisons yet one to gross U. When teeth go bad and are but a Nub and need removal there are different ways. In adult years there was some preparation. That is there were gentle platforms built across other teeth and a clamping sensation. the actual extraction was painless because of numbing and also the extraction was a concentrated exercise between finite points. The dentist didn't actually show me the tool yet i know it was a a puller like a a small bearing puller deal. Went straight and sweet.

The alternative was another which again by knumbnense, Worked yet I saw his pliers later/ they were same as some whatevers I had sitting around. The deal is to concentrate with opposing forks of finite reach and just enough force to break the bond.