Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If i order a pair of tires from tireeasy (actually 5 but you get the point) when the install partner they list says installed from 25$ are they talking about the whole set of tires, or per tire? Something is saying per tire to me, and i see why they are so much cheaper than some other places if i buy em from wally world it includes mounting and unsure about the stems, cost about 130$ but that's shipped. Of course it is walmart mechanics and i hear horror stories, but not about them ****ing a tire mount. Usually just hear about them forgetting to put drain plugs back or not adding the fluids back. It's the same horror stories i hear from every chain. So is wally world a safe bet to have my tires installed and possibly purchased at?

Gonna go with General Grabber AT2 215/65/R16 (.38" taller, and 10mm narrower than stock, but AT) until i get the perch problem figured out, then more lift and like some 29" MTs on steelies. Since i live in the midwest, in the middle of a ton of VERY FLAT FIELDS, what do we do around here is "muddin" in flat fields in pickups and jacked up SUVs until we find nice bogs to go back and forth through.:banana: Yup, that kinda redneck, no hills so they ain't hillbillies. Can't wait for video of my girl driving through a bog :D

Probably hold on to the MXV4s because they don't really need to be replaced in terms of tread ware.. sell em on craigslist or something. I got the car with 70k, so they probably got put on at ~60k, now i'm at 80k so plenty of tread left. They definitely are nice all season tires, glad i didn't buy them though. Get my car back tomorrow, and get to decide if i want to repaint the bottom half because my repainted bumper really doesn't match the sun faded sides now. The red paint not so noticeable and not worth repainting unless i went a whole new color scheme (which i might, black top with the gold bottom would look nice, since i got the gold alloys too. My poor painter, making him work with the hardest colors)

Edited by lesstutrey

Call the installer from the list provided to learn what he charges. Typically, an installer will charge about $65 or so to install 4 new tires.

IMO, the economics of buying tires on line, then having an installer do the labor, works out cost wise to be about the same as buying the tires at a store, and having the store install the tires.

Tire cost on line is pretty much the same as at a store. Buying on line, you don't pay sales tax, but do have to pay shipping cost. At a store, you pay sales tax, but don't pay shipping cost. The net result is minimal cost difference.

I like the idea of buying and installing from a tire store. If a tire goes bad, or tire balance is not perfect, you can easily go back to the store to get things easily fixed. Tire stores offer free rotation and balance for the life of the tires. Plus fix flats for free. Discount Tire has this service at no cost. An installer doesn't have any of this service.

If i order a pair of tires from tireeasy (actually 5 but you get the point) when the install partner they list says installed from 25$ are they talking about the whole set of tires, or per tire?

It's better to just buy the tires locally and have the shop you purchased them from do the mounting and balancing. The last 4 locally I purchased were truck tires and I believe it was $70 for mount/balance. The tires were less than the internet price and no shipping cost. Buy locally

FWIW, I just bought a set of 4 tires from Tires-Easy and had them mounted and balanced at Wally World for $40 total. $5 ea to mount, $5 ea to balance. No complaints.

I do prefer Tire Rack but they didn't have the tires I wanted. Neither did any local stores. While buying locally sometimes has some advantages, so does buying from the www. I got the tires I wanted and saved 6% sales tax. YMMV

Edited by SubaruFred

Depends on what I'm buying, but for most tires, by the time I pay shipping to get them here, I can usually buy 4 tires at a local place for about the same cost if not just a few dollars more than the online places. Then mounting can be anywhere from about $12 - $20 per tire in this area. Most tire shops here will charge extra for low profile tire mounting, as much as $75 per tire from what I've heard. So that's something to keep in mind when you splurge for that set of 24" Dubs with flapjacks.

Depends on what I'm buying, but for most tires, by the time I pay shipping to get them here, I can usually buy 4 tires at a local place for about the same cost if not just a few dollars more than the online places. Then mounting can be anywhere from about $12 - $20 per tire in this area. Most tire shops here will charge extra for low profile tire mounting, as much as $75 per tire from what I've heard. So that's something to keep in mind when you splurge for that set of 24" Dubs with flapjacks.

I agree. There are a lot of variables when buying tires locally or from the www. I prefer to do business locally but often I can't get what I want locally. My latest tire purchase was 4 Falken Radial A/P in 205/75/14. Sears carries them locally for $70 each ($90 M&B with tax) but was out of stock nationally with no projected availability date. Tires-Easy had them in stock for $80 each plus $75 shipping plus the $40 I paid to have them mounted and balanced. Sears was much cheaper but I still wouldn't have any tires vs 1 month use buying from Tires-Easy.

The real beauty of the www stores is when you purchase a mounted and balanced wheel/tire package and save ~20% vs buying locally. On tires alone, it's usually pretty close.

FWIW, I just bought a set of 4 tires from Tires-Easy and had them mounted and balanced at Wally World for $40 total. $5 ea to mount, $5 ea to balance. No complaints.

I do prefer Tire Rack but they didn't have the tires I wanted. Neither did any local stores. While buying locally sometimes has some advantages, so does buying from the www. I got the tires I wanted and saved 6% sales tax. YMMV

Good to know that Walmart will install tires and balance. The price is good. I am not keen on the low life they hire to work in automotive, but mounting and balancing tires is pretty much a no brainer. A little bit more then no brainers is what they hire to work Walmart automotive.

Good that you saved the 6% sales tax, and got the tires you wanted, but how much were you charged for tire shipping??

Good to know that Walmart will install tires and balance. The price is good. I am not keen on the low life they hire to work in automotive, but mounting and balancing tires is pretty much a no brainer. A little bit more then no brainers is what they hire to work Walmart automotive.

Good that you saved the 6% sales tax, and got the tires you wanted, but how much were you charged for tire shipping??

I wish that I could one day have a set of tires mounted, balanced and installed correctly but I don't believe it will ever happen. I just accept the fact that I have to go behind them and re-torque the wheel nuts and adjust the tire pressures. I'm satisfied if they get the balance right.

Shipping varies a lot. I can get 4 tires shipped from Tire Rack for about $40 (NJ to MD) but Tires-Easy cost me $75 (CA to MD). I usually save money buying from Tire Rack vs locally. I paid more this time from Tires-Easy but as I said before, they were the only place I could find in the USA that had the tires I wanted.

I wish that I could one day have a set of tires mounted, balanced and installed correctly but I don't believe it will ever happen. I just accept the fact that I have to go behind them and re-torque the wheel nuts and adjust the tire pressures. I'm satisfied if they get the balance right.

Shipping varies a lot. I can get 4 tires shipped from Tire Rack for about $40 (NJ to MD) but Tires-Easy cost me $75 (CA to MD). I usually save money buying from Tire Rack vs locally. I paid more this time from Tires-Easy but as I said before, they were the only place I could find in the USA that had the tires I wanted.

Thanks, good info to learn on tire shipping cost. I was under the assumption that cost was flat rated across the entire continental U.S. Good to learn otherwise.

Agree, it is difficult getting tire work done entirely correctly. It is sad to realize that you had better check the quality of their work. Like said, either the air pressure is off, or lugs need re-torqued. Once I had a lug nut cross threaded by a shop using an air gun. Just happened to find it when replacing brake pads. If I had had a flat on the open road, I would have been screwed trying to remove that lug nut using a 4 way lug wrench.

Lot's of good info. Thx. Speakin of mounting, that's where i gotta blow about something. One of the chain stores installed 2 new tires I bought from them. I go to pick it up and even before getting out of the lot, I just had to look-:eek: I had TOLD them they were Unilug and (yeh yadda yadda). They had RUN those elipse nut locators in any which way. I had to pound on the desk and PO them before any offere of repairing the bent lugs. I had to replace two more after getting home and inspecting the damage.

Just to add to the discussion...

I was looking to get a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 205/55/16 tires. I called everywhere locally, and everywhere was the same...$130 per tire, mounted and balanced.

I looked online, found then at Discount Tire Direct (cheaper than TireRack) for $404 with shipping, etc. I then had them mounted and balanced with stems for $10 per tire. So total I spent $444 instead of $520 by going online.

Now I am all for local purchasing, but not at that kind of difference :)

Heh, i'm definitely not slapping low profile tires on my recently lifted outback with premium stock alloys, going with 27" ATs (215/65/R16 General Grabber AT2s) so i can go muddin with my truck friends, and for better bite in the snow next winter. A thing though, all alloy wheels have to have the lugs readjusted after about 40-100 miles of driving after the initial install anyway, if you aren't doing that you're missing a step in installing aluminum alloys. Probably get some argument about the aluminum alloy lug tightening...

Thanks, good info to learn on tire shipping cost. I was under the assumption that cost was flat rated across the entire continental U.S. Good to learn otherwise.

Agree, it is difficult getting tire work done entirely correctly. It is sad to realize that you had better check the quality of their work. Like said, either the air pressure is off, or lugs need re-torqued. Once I had a lug nut cross threaded by a shop using an air gun. Just happened to find it when replacing brake pads. If I had had a flat on the open road, I would have been screwed trying to remove that lug nut using a 4 way lug wrench.

It's amazing that something so simple can be screwed up so badly. Pep Boys once ruined 4 new chrome wheels and 20 nuts with an impact gun, some oil change shop stripped not one but both drain plugs on my 87 Mustang and my favorite: Got my 68 Camaro SS396 convertible inspected and driving home I felt something wobbling up front. By the time I pulled over one front wheel was held on by only 2 loose wheel nuts. The remaining studs had broken off.

/hijack

It's amazing that something so simple can be screwed up so badly. Pep Boys once ruined 4 new chrome wheels and 20 nuts with an impact gun, some oil change shop stripped not one but both drain plugs on my 87 Mustang and my favorite: Got my 68 Camaro SS396 convertible inspected and driving home I felt something wobbling up front. By the time I pulled over one front wheel was held on by only 2 loose wheel nuts. The remaining studs had broken off.

/hijack

When I was a kid, I worked at my dad's gas station. He taught me proper use of an air gun. That is.....always install a lug nut on wheel stud by hand first, to make sure that the nut is threading properly. Otherwise, it is too easy to cross thread by putting the nut in the socket of the air gun and driving the nut on, and hoping for the best that you got lucky and did not cross thread. Too many guys in shops never learned that lesson, or maybe they were taught the proper method, but don't give a damn about quality work.