Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Say Hello to my lil friend

Well I finally was at the right place at the right time with the right amount of money not designated for other things. Like most of us that rarely happens! But the planets were in line this time. :banana: and my new 81 brat sits next to my Baja in my one car slip. I found it in Oklahoma want to clean up and take home to Idaho to play in the Sawtooth mountains. :grin: Little rust both rear quarters dent passenger door and head gasket going.

post-27599-136027646577_thumb.jpg

post-27599-136027646587_thumb.jpg

post-27599-136027646593_thumb.jpg

post-27599-1360276466_thumb.jpg

One thing I didn't get is the bracket for the jump seats so if anyone can post a couple of pics of the bracket, I can make one, but would really like a factory one. Second issue is the clutch cable is broke I'll get the gen2 and modify the pedal bracket Unless one of you happen to have it and want to sell. Thanks for the help. Anyways back to the search button!

Edited by ironworkerboomer

I just ordered a clutch cable for my 1981 Brat GL off of rockauto.com. They currently have several available.

Of course, I'll feel a lot more confident once it gets here and I'm sure it truly is the right part, but they've been very reliable in the past :)

On a side note, I don't even need one, but figured for $11.58 and knowing how hard they are to get, I'd mothball it until I do.

-Ben

Thanks Ben. I ordered one from auto parts warehouse it got here yesterday not 12$ but installed it last night and was a direct bolt in :banana: dance banana dance. The pic in the ad is different than the part go figure I thought it may have the bracket to attach to the pedal, but no bracket was included. I was the same as the old cable. I also got the gasket set, and water pump, still waiting for the clutch n pressure plate.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Subaru/Brat/Centric/Clutch_Cable/1981/GL/4_Cyl_1-dot-8L/CE156-dot-47010.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain&intcmpid=

Do any of you have a picture of the original topper tie down brackets? I've worn out the search button without finding anything. Thanks,

post-27599-136027646794_thumb.jpg

post-27599-1360276468_thumb.jpg

Good to know that autopartswarehouse still has a good supply of parts (though a bit more expensive than rockauto who is currently doing a bunch of "discontinued by wholesaler" specials).

I also bought and mothballed a waterpump. My last one lasted about 100k miles and, at the rate I'm driving my Brat, when this one goes, they might not be available anymore. Cheap insurance :)

We got the clutch parts today! My son (he is 5) and I took out the seats to do a good cleaning on the carpet. Waiting for the weather here in Oklahoma to get better (I'm not convinced that's possible) so we can pull the engine. Not having a shop sucks! Ordered the bushings for the shifter going to thru bolt the collar to get rid of the oat meal stir when shifting. Does anyone have any ideas how to repair the dash/ Replacement parts here are few and far between. I am thinking about cutting down the splits and using a epoxy/caulking something that stays pliable and covering it with vinyl. It can't look any worse than what I got now.

For the dash, I have not done this process myself (I was lucky enough to get a dash cap from Coverlay before they stopped making them), but have always wanted to give it a try. It's a method of repairing a dash using bumper repair compound and spray-in bed liner:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/89/33/

-Ben

Edited by bendecker

• 2 weeks later...
My son and I found some treasures under the seat today:banana: I ordered the gasket set and a new clutch. We will replace other stuff as we can. This is a project for my 5 year old son and myself.

Can I just say? That's adorable. :) My dad and I are... planning on... yeah we'll say that... restoring an old El Camino together. :rolleyes: That's the plan anyway. :lol: Sweet find though! Jumper seats an all - I've seen so many that don't have them anymore. And with as little rust as you say.. that's awesome! Good luck! Can't wait to see more pix. :D

My dad and I are... planning on... yeah we'll say that... restoring an old El Camino together. :rolleyes: That's the plan anyway. :lol::D

This has been fun spending time with Cody his momma is enjoying the quiet in the house. We have been cleaning and just de-slopped the shifter. Found a vinyl that matches the interior good enough 10$ is good enough! He is having a ball but its defiantly an exercise in patients on my part! just waiting for a few parts and we will pull the motor and let the mayhem begin.