Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 EJ25D into a '97 Brighton

AWDmaster

Hello Ultimate Subaru!

I have lurked here for a while, and Im a regular over at RS25...

I have a 1997 Impreza Brighton, and I just got my EJ25D from a 1998 2.5rs installed today.

After everything was in I went to start it and nothing... not a click or anything. All the lights, stereo, ect work fine. I got a jump from a friend, but that didn't help.

Weird part is that the seat belt, air bag, brake, door, battery, and oil lights in the dash stay on even if I take the key out of the ignition...

Any ideas?

You didn't wire the battery in backwards did you?

GD

HAHA! No, but I did forget to hookup the ground wire on the bottom of the starter...

I hooked it up and got it started, it shot straight up to 3,000rpm and stayed there... Took the intake manifold off and discovered broken intake gaskets. Should have replaced them when I did the headgaskets. :-\

Anyway, I am also hearing this horrible grinding noise coming from the clutch... It is very constant. You can hear a grinding when its turned over by hand. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

grinding - did you try adjusting the clutch? or is it hydraulic?

The clutch is a cable clutch... But regardless, I pulled the motor back out today and Im glad I did! The metal piece the bolts under the flywheel got snagged somehow and bent inwards and was rubbing on the pressure plate and flywheel! :eek:

(I tried to post a pic, but I can't post pics for some reason...)

Now I just need my new gaskets tomorrow and I should be back in business! Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by AWDmaster