Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes. Did something happen, broken, seized, jammed? I just purchased the same car, somebody had not changed the water pump or pulleys and everything had failed. Pump seized, pulley broke and belt was jammed behind pulley. I tore the engine apart but haven't looked too hard for anything yet. Pistons are not damaged but a couple valves didn't look like they were seating properly, possibly bent.

Thanks. Was interested in a 97 outback where the belt had broken while running. I had 97 but traded and bought a 08 forester. I changed the belt on my 97 so I thought I could make out with this one. I also have a 96 legacy that someone put outback struts on. Has a 2.2 and 156k. Thanks again, new to the board and wow I'm impressed.

Which Greensburg? Please update your ID info.

If it's Greensburg PA you're close to me.

I'm currently pretty wimpy (car accident on rt66 a couple weeks ago) but I'll have the parts you might need. Or may buy whatever mess you have off of you for when I'm able to play with cars again.

I have 2.5 heads (actually whole engines) and I have the most 97 stuff.

Lots of good folks and knowledge here.

Thanks. Was interested in a 97 outback where the belt had broken while running. I had 97 but traded and bought a 08 forester. I changed the belt on my 97 so I thought I could make out with this one. I also have a 96 legacy that someone put outback struts on. Has a 2.2 and 156k. Thanks again, new to the board and wow I'm impressed.

Buy it cheap and chuck a 2.2 in it. Way cheaper and easier than reviving the 2.5.