Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Granny's got a Grumble, Rumble, Roar!

Drove little Bailey's Grandma to Sam's club for some supplies in her 2005 Forester, almost 40k on the odo. Went to turn a tight circle in the parking lot and noticed it has a vibration, and a rumble sound. Granny has never noticed it before, but Granny lives out in the sticks and the Forester doesn't have many opportunities to turn tight on a hard surface. Does it in either direction, nothing rubbing, sounds and feels like something deep in the drive train. Oh my, Oh me, What could it be? She made an appointment for the 11th. Who can guess what it will be?

Drove little Bailey's Grandma to Sam's club for some supplies in her 2005 Forester, almost 40k on the odo. Went to turn a tight circle in the parking lot and noticed it has a vibration, and a rumble sound. Granny has never noticed it before, but Granny lives out in the sticks and the Forester doesn't have many opportunities to turn tight on a hard surface. Does it in either direction, nothing rubbing, sounds and feels like something deep in the drive train. Oh my, Oh me, What could it be? She made an appointment for the 11th. Who can guess what it will be?

Well you're quite the poet, but if its auto tranny first thing i would check is Duty C solenoid. In the main fuse box under the hood, put a 15A fuse in the slot labeled FWD, then repeat your test (tight turns). If the problem is fixed, drain and fill the transmission 3 times and change the external filter. You should probably have that done around that mileage anyways. You may also get it flushed at the dealership.

If you get the service done at the dealership, don't let them tell you that you need differentials and clutch packs and transmission work, as there's a 99% chance doing the service mentioned above will fix it. Worst case scenario, the duty C solenoid may have to be changed (and/or clutch packs), but it's VERY unlikely at that low mileage. Don't let the dealership take advantage of granny, go with her and tell them that the Duty C solenoid is sticking and you need a flush.

Just flush the trans with some fresh fluid twice, its most likely torque bind and this will most likely cure it. DO NOT add ATF to the front diff, it is a separate entity to the trans and takes gear oil only not ATF. Do with the cheapest first. The Duty C isn't too far out there but it will still cost some cash.

Just flush the trans with some fresh fluid twice, its most likely torque bind and this will most likely cure it. DO NOT add ATF to the front diff, it is a separate entity to the trans and takes gear oil only not ATF. Do with the cheapest first. The Duty C isn't too far out there but it will still cost some cash.

Torque bind it the result of duty C solenoid failure. Doing the drain and fill essentially cleans out the duty C. So yes not too far out, in fact I was right on.

Thanks Guys, i drove over to Granny's, and took her to Church in the BRAT this morning. I like taking Clod to Church (Clod's the BRAT by the way), because if anyone could use some prayers, and Spiritual healing, it would be CLOD. After Church I took her Forester to the truck stop at the next town over to try the 15 amp fuse thing, but ended up not doing it because it's not doing the Grumble, Rumble, Roar any More. I would say that you probably hit the nail right on the head with the Duty C solenoid, and it's just doing it now and again. Think that maybe Granny hasn't been driving it enough this winter. May go for the flush anyway, or should we wait awhile to see if it acts up again? Also is the solenoid accessible, or is it down in the tranny?

May go for the flush anyway, or should we wait awhile to see if it acts up again? Also is the solenoid accessible, or is it down in the tranny?

If u have an extended powertrain warranty, then just tell the dealership and let them do whatever they figure they have to (for free of course).

If not, I would wait and see if it happens again. Another remedy that is free is to do 5 tight circles to the right, and five tight circles to the left immediately afterward (on dry pavement). That flushes the fluid between the clutch packs. If it happens again, I would suggest a tranny service from the dealer.

The duty C is in the rear of the transmission, and is accessible without removing the entire trans, but still a pretty lengthy job as the tail has to be disassembled. The good news is it's a known issue, and it won't kill the vehicle. Absolute worst case scenario the Duty C is an easier and cheaper job than a tranny, but I'd say you have at least another 200,000 before you have trouble as long as the tires are the same size. ALWAYS make sure the tires are the same, that's what causes this problem.