Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to buy replacement parts - fog light protector?

One of the 4 teeth on the back of the fog light protectors on the driver's side of our Subaru Outback 2003 VDC 3L H6 broke and loosened the protector so that it started to rotate off horizontal and probably would have eventually fallen off if I hadn't discovered the broken tooth.

The part surprisingly is made of hard plastic and not metal.

Any idea where I can purchase this part at a reasonable price?

I can't imagine the dealers charging a fair price for this simple plastic part, which at most is only worth a few dollars.

This is hilarious - checked with dealer and found out:

1) They charge $49.99 for the plastic part, which isn't worth more than $1-2.

2) Because the part is so badly made - there are 4 small thin easily breakable teeth on the back which hold the part onto the frame of the fog light - the dealer's part was broken in exactly the same way as mine - it had one broken tooth.

Anyone have a good source for this and other parts?

Any Outback 2000-2004 would fit. I would think any used auto parts yard that have Subarus would have one. If you know of any yards near you, you might get lucky.

If that's all you need maybe someone on the board here would pick one up next time they see it. The postage should be minimal.

My 2002 Forester came with those plastic fog-light 'protectors'.

I took them both off, and threw them away!

They were so flimsy, that I couldn't see them doing any good at 'protecting' anything.

And the plastic grid just obstructed the beam from the lamp.

Good riddance!

• 2 years later...

Check with different online auto parts dealer to find whether your auto part is available in their inventory list. Usually, I prefer to consider www.hiperformer.com/where-to-go for any sort of purchase or vehicle related assistance. They are one of the well known online dealers in US automobile auto parts world with their huge network to wrecking yard from all over nation.