Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welcome to the USMB.

We have a handy "search" function.

This is a popular topic.

Highlights are a 95 2.2 from an Automatic (WITH an EGR!!) is most preferred. A 2.2 from 96-98 will also work but you'll need it's Y-pipe.

Reseal the new engine before installing.

Nope.

Search for stuff like "2.5 engine swap". Heck - there may even be a sticky.

Plug and play (assuming hte EGR and dual port exhaust). No EGR on donor is hard/perhaps impossible to overcome. Exhaust thing is just a different Ypipe.

Please update your city. I gotta belive there is more than one town by that name in the United States. Someone near you may have already done this.

Ok i updated my city, sorry about that. This is what im getting, a 2.2 somewhere in the 95-98 range, praying its not an interference model. It is the Non-egr version, which is no problem for me, the subaru mechanic where im getting it told me it will be a plug and play swap for my 97, minus egr. i have no emissions testing here, Yet. $300 shipped from PA. i will have it next friday and start my swap that night after i replace some seals and the timing belt. Should i do head gaskets while i have the motor out? are the water pumps the same as the 2.5 dohc? I have a new one for my dead 2.5.

Thanks Guys

I have tried searching but it comes up with nothing found. Attached an image so you dont think im being lazy. :)

usmb.JPG

Edited by lockcuff

I wouldn't do it without the EGR. Unless the car is basically junk.

You'll never get the light out, so unless you check periodically you won't know if you have another code. And you're screwing up any resale value.

DOn't forget if it's not a 95 you also need the single port Ypipe off the donor.

Searching will help you understand all of this.

Hello, the motor is a dual port so its a 95 or 96, as far as the egr i have located an egr intake, just waiting on price from another forum member. im not worried at the moment about the egr, although i will be installing it shortly. i have a dash mounted code reader that i can watch realtime, so if a code other than the egr pops up i will see it.

I'm finally figuring the search function out. Thanks

if the driver side head doesn't have the port for the egr valve pipe you still have a problem. having the correct intake manifold won't do you any good if you don't have the correct heads to thread the pipe that feeds the valve. you either need to find an engine that has a preexisting port or drill out the head and tap threads into the spot.

read this thread to see what you're going to get yourself into if you don't get the correct engine. i've been here before because i made the same mistake you're potentially going to.

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/technical-diy-write-ups/142730-diy-jdm-ej25-egr-port-drill-tap.html