Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Caliper questions

Vehicle: 1986 GL wagon

So I was driving today and I noticed the smell of brakes. I pulled over at a gas station and saw smoke coming out of my front passenger tire. Long story short when I got it home I jacked the front end up and tried to turn that tire. When I did I felt some resistance so I pulled the tire off to inspect everything. What I found was that the parking brake lever on the caliper was sticking. Upon further inspection I noticed why it was sticking. The rubber boot around the lever on the caliper has ruptured and most of the grease came out. Here's my questions:

1. Would it be OK to leave the parking brake cable off that side so that I can still use my parking brake without it sticking? Should I just park carefully so that I don't have to use my parking brake?

2. Is that little rubber boot replaceable? Or do I have to replace the whole caliper?

Ok, so new calipers. What about in the mean time, should I avoid using the E-brake.

hi, you might want to check if the actual cables themselves move freely in their casings, i have had a lot of bad e-brake cables over the years.

good idea to put new calipers on , those mechenism are weird anyway. you are aware the caliper pistons have to screw in to collapse, not just squeeze in ? probably won't need to deal with that till next time for pads but you have to turn them to compress back into their bore.

hi, you might want to check if the actual cables themselves move freely in their casings, i have had a lot of bad e-brake cables over the years.

good idea to put new calipers on , those mechenism are weird anyway. you are aware the caliper pistons have to screw in to collapse, not just squeeze in ? probably won't need to deal with that till next time for pads but you have to turn them to compress back into their bore.

Yeah, the cable moves fine. That was the first thought I had.