Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88GL- heater blower moter stops/starts

So the quick search didn't help much. What happens is when I start the wagon up the heater fan works on all speeds. If I drive it for 5 miles or 50, it works the whole time. The problem is when I drive it 3 or 5 or 10 or 30, then stop at a gas station or store and come back out to the wagon then the blower will not work on any speed. I drive home, park for 30+min and drive again and the fan blower works on all speeds again.. I have replace the speed switch with another on but it didn't change anything. Is there some other relay that could be messed up. Oh I did change out the coil resisitor in the heater core box and that didn't change anything either. Nope, I don't have any kind of manual, have been looking for an OME one, but haven't found one yet, any input for an aftermarket manual?

Here is a 1.99 cup holder, just for fun..

FujiOrange004.jpg

Could be your igintion switch is going bad. But I can't say for sure.

Heater fan is fed direct from the Igntion to the fan thru the fusebox, so 'High' should work if the resistor are bad.

From what you posted, it really sounds like the contacts in the ignition are worn. They make sometimes, othertimes they don't.

Any other oddities happen during the "no heater fan"?

The trouble you describe is most likely due to either a faulty blower relay or the brushes in the motor are worn out. Check to see if voltage is getting to the motor when the trouble happens using chassis ground as the reference. If you have voltage on one side of the connection to the motor but not the other then the motor msot likely needs to be replaced. If you don't have voltage on either side of the motor connections the relay is most likely the cause od the trouble.

Yes, that is a bad blower relay. Mine would do that when it got warm. It helps to keep the defrost on, and the blower on low, as the warm air going by the relay causes it to drop out.

I finally fixed mine, after living through a stint or 2 of -30 deg. C winter weather with very flaky heat....

I have identical symptoms on my EA81. The blower fan would work some days and not others...now it has died completely and winter is coming. I dont appear to be getting power at the switch, resistor pack or motor.

Do the earlier cars have a relay too?