Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I had a sunny afternoon with a little time today, so I did a drain and fill on the new 09 Outback transmission. Nice that that is so easy, and that I can get under this car without jacking it up. Couldn't do that on the 97.

This is my first AT, but I thought the fluid looked kind of dirty for only 18K miles. I'm really glad I did it. I used the Idemitsu ATF HP that I got through the local Car Quest. The old stuff was sort of brown, not very transparent in the measuring cup, but didn't smell or anything.

I got almost 4 quarts out. If I get another warm afternoon in the next few days, I will do another round and see how it looks. The car has been shifting just fine. Once I get it cleaned up, I think I will go to a one D&F every 12,000 schedule.

I also drained the front dif and refilled with Valvoline 75/90 Synthetic. Couldn't get the drain plug off the rear dif, so that will go to a mechanic friend tomorrow.

I bought it used, and I always change everything right away no matter what they tell me because that way I know what I have. Thanks though, in that case, it was definitely not black, and was probably fine - again, it shifts great.

I'm just used to draining out nice clean fluids from an MT.

So I had a sunny afternoon with a little time today, so I did a drain and fill on the new 09 Outback transmission. Nice that that is so easy, and that I can get under this car without jacking it up. Couldn't do that on the 97.

This is my first AT, but I thought the fluid looked kind of dirty for only 18K miles. I'm really glad I did it. I used the Idemitsu ATF HP that I got through the local Car Quest. The old stuff was sort of brown, not very transparent in the measuring cup, but didn't smell or anything.

I got almost 4 quarts out. If I get another warm afternoon in the next few days, I will do another round and see how it looks. The car has been shifting just fine. Once I get it cleaned up, I think I will go to a one D&F every 12,000 schedule.

I also drained the front dif and refilled with Valvoline 75/90 Synthetic. Couldn't get the drain plug off the rear dif, so that will go to a mechanic friend tomorrow.

Don't waste your time, money and a non-renewable resource. ATF, like motor oil, is highly detergent and the discoloration is from the fluid doing it's job and suspending contaminants. You can't judge it's condition by the color alone. You really need a UOA to know for certain. Changing motor oil more often than every 5k or ATF more often that 30k is pointless and a waste.

subaru atf fluid will turn to a brown color, this normal for that particular brand..stay with a scheduled "dump and replace" every 15K/mi or before each winter..all should be good for the long haul...

I wouldn't worry about that at all. I recently changed the ATF on my 92 volvo 940 after buying it last year and putting on 30k miles, and it honestly looked like motor oil. I had trouble finding the right tranny oil strainer (its an odd transmission i guess), and with the oil pan removed I got nearly 7 quarts out by letting it drip for a couple of days. I'll change it again in 10k miles instead of 30k and check the strainer for metal chips again, but I think both of us have nothing to worry about.