Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone, I posted earlier about head bolts, but now that I am splitting the block I am more confused about the block bolts than anything else.

The 10mm bolts located around the bores were incredibly tight, much much higher torque than the head bolts (it took probably 150ft lbs to take off the two interior bolts between cylinders #2 and #4), but the book says to use 35 ft lbs. What??

This engine overheated pretty bad a couple of times, so mabe that something to do with it? The two bolts I mentioned were blackened and had white spots on them but I have no idea what the cause of that could be.

I've also got a pretty easy question about the numbering system on the block. The numbers in the center of the block read "22121" and I read in the subaru manual that they indicate the size of the main journals/main bearings but give no indication as to what these numbers refer to, although they list standard and oversize diameters and sizes. Further, I noticed "[2|1]" printed on each block half, and the subaru manual does not mention it. Are these similarly the bearing sizes for the connecting rods?

Lastly, does anyone have a good approach to splitting the block? I know it won't split easy, but I don't want to hit it in the wrong spot. Thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to actually helping people on the forums after this ha.

p.s. I haven't noticed this mentioned anywhere regarding the cam covers, but the t-45 torx bolts are actually t-45 torx plus! If you use torx initially you'll slightly strip the bolts and a torx plus will fit better but not perfect. If you use torx plus first, there is no play and they don't want to cam out at all.

I have split a few of thes blocks and once you have all of the bolts out the two halves come apart very easily. If any tapping is necessary use a dead blow hammer and you won't hurt anything. It really isn't hard to seperate them at all.

The block seemed to hang close to the oil pump for some reason, a little corrosion on the pins I believe but it came apart all safe and sound. Do you remember how you torqued those 10mm bolts? 35 ftlbs seems way too small to me.

edit: the rod bearings were worn down to the copper. If anyone has a 2.5 taken out for head gaskets with 180k+ miles i urge them to take the time to replace the rod bearings. If I hadn't taken this block apart at 200k I would have spun a bearing in 40-50k miles. Thankfully I didn't!

Edited by walczyk

Do most people not take apart the cylinder block?

Only the absolute fearless amongst us, the true Subaru Heroes! :eek:

But you'll be okay, just study & research as much as possible as you go. Use the search function--I seem to recall some threads in the past about splitting & rebuilding the block.

And good luck.

not many folks split these blocks. it's often not cost effective for me. easier to find a known good motor or do a swap, buy a wrecked car, already have a motor, etc. but a few here have split the blocks.

i don't even know what a torx plus is but i've never had a problem getting them out. the head and block bolts do seem really tight to remove when disassembling though. age, heating, expansion?