Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hose and line location question

Yesterday the engine went back into my wagon and it is close to completion.

We have a few things we could not figure out and so I came to this August gathering of Subie enthusiasts, obsessed and hobbyists for the answers.

189541_1880045916933_1114842834_32239825_4863448_n.jpg

This is towards the rear of the engine on the passenger side, not far from the first pic.

190133_1880046116938_1114842834_32239826_6460044_n.jpg

This is on the plastic housing on the intake

199979_1880045676927_1114842834_32239824_6001301_n.jpg

This line is in the same area but we cannot locate where it goes.

199439_1880045436921_1114842834_32239823_598768_n.jpg

Anyone have or can take detailed pics of a complete 2.5 engine, it would greatly help. My Mech is doing a great job but this is his first Subie, so we have to go gentle on him.

The first three connectors all go together. There is a hose that goes on the fitting coming up out of the engine and a plastic fitting fits into that. Another hose goes back to the intake boot and then one goes up onto the PCV valve. The plastic fitting can break and is kind of pricey. The two hoses are fitted hoses and need to be stock. I may be able to find you a complete setup at a local JY.

The last picture is the vacuum boost for the brake booster. There is a hose that comes off the brake booster and it just goes on that fitting. Without that hooked up, your braking will suck.

If you have any questions you can call me 804-393-0516

The first three connectors all go together. There is a hose that goes on the fitting coming up out of the engine and a plastic fitting fits into that. Another hose goes back to the intake boot and then one goes up onto the PCV valve. The plastic fitting can break and is kind of pricey. The two hoses are fitted hoses and need to be stock. I may be able to find you a complete setup at a local JY.

The last picture is the vacuum boost for the brake booster. There is a hose that comes off the brake booster and it just goes on that fitting. Without that hooked up, your braking will suck.

If you have any questions you can call me 804-393-0516

I'm game on the local JY idea. I'm not sure if we have any or all of those parts.

if he's standing on the passenger side of the car, i think the last pic is of one of the small vac lines that go over to the stuff on the passenger strut tower. the brake booster vac line is larger and on the driver side of the throttle body and the nipple faces to the rear.

there are 3 lines that go in the direction of the strut tower. in older 2.2s they all went all the way, i think. in newer 2.5s they joined 2 together and only a couple go to the strut, I THINK. check the diagram.

there should be a diagram on the under side of the hood. it should help with tracking this stuff down.

is this the original engine? or a swap?

That last one looks like the hose that loops over to the evap purge control solenoid under the passenger intake runners. The vacuum hose routing diagram on the bottom of the hood should at least give you a general idea.

The first 3 are for the PCV system. I can't find a good pic of the whole setup. Mike (mdjdc) will hook you up though.

Are we allowed to post pics from the subie service manual?

I do. Or at least I used to. :grin: I had to wipe my hard drive, now I don't have Photoshop anymore, thus don't have anywhere to save pics that I would copy from the manual. Just too lazy to reload photoshop.

If you have some post away.

I do. Or at least I used to. :grin: I had to wipe my hard drive, now I don't have Photoshop anymore, thus don't have anywhere to save pics that I would copy from the manual. Just too lazy to reload photoshop.

If you have some post away.

Get your hands on Gimp Fairtax, it's free and as effective as Photoshop.