Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good EA82 headgaskets?

Fel Pro Permatorque headgaskets and add 5-10 pounds on the final torque sequence. That's a fairly common practice on EA82's.

All other gaskets that I'm aware of require a retorque sequence as indicated in the Subaru Factory Service manual, so you're left disassembling the motor all over again which is annoying. Fel Pro's remove that huge step, save time, and are accepted by many as great fits for this motor.

If you end up going with OEM or some other gasket that requries a retorque, then do NOT seal the cam carrier the first time reassembling the motor. Because you're just going to start the motor, shut it down, then disassemble it all over again for the retorque sequence. You can seal it the second time around and save yourself the effort of cleaning, sealing, and repeating it all over again which is annoying.

Side note: Fel Pro's aren't well received for all Subaru engines, there are some that I would not use them on, but they are excellent on these motors.

as he said - gaskets on subaru engines always go on completely clean and dry.

you'll need two cam carrier orings - they are not available anywhere except Subaru, though a few places like http://www.thepartsbin.com have them as well. they are metal reinforced orings, do not use regular orings. you need two - one per side and it is installed between the cam and the head.

intake manifold gaskets are best from Subaru, others are weak and that is a fairly common failure point. i (and others) also prefer Subaru cam and crank seals and exhaust manifold gaskets.

i typically just buy the parts i want, not a complete head set.

+1 to Grossgary and Permatorque gaskets. I have used them on 5 different EA82's recently and they are really good.

OEM intake and cam cariier gaskets are the way to go. They have a layer of metal in the center whereas the aftermarket ones I have seen are only made of rubber.