Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 GL Wagon engine died

I was pulling out of a parking lot and all of a sudden the engine stopped, no sputtering out or any other sounds, it just went dead, and it still has battery power. Ive gotten suggestions that it may be a bad coil, are there any other possibilities?

Thanks for all the help, it's still stuck where it stopped and I'm on my way to pick it up right now (probably tow it), but I also wanted to add that the dash lights still come on when the ignition is on, but not the dash clock, cigarette lighter, and radio, all the components that draw constant power from the battery, and I just sprayed some starter fluid into two of the cylinders and got no response from the engine.

Edited by Robbman
More info

but I also wanted to add that the dash lights still come on when the ignition is on, but not the dash clock, cigarette lighter, and radio. Does this help?

Hmm was reading the thread and agreeing with everyone but, with that info it sounds like it's possibly one of your fusible links (inside the black box right by your battery). Does the car still crank over? And does it sound normal while cranking or a bit fast? Got a multimeter? Check for power on both sides of each of the fusible links and check to see if the distributor and rotor are turning as mentioned above.

Edited by DrKrazy