Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still looking for "test connector" pin #

To set timing on EA82 SPFI, you need to plug two connectors together, right under the dash, next to the computer...

I would really appreciate it if someone could use their multimeter and figure out which pins on the computer this connects to !

I did a transplant, EA81 into 1973 VW bus. Carb sucked (ratsnest computer controlled carb) so I tried VW carb, too small. I upgraded to SPFI, but cut the test connector out when doing the switch over...

If someone will test for continuity between the "test connectors" and the computer pins, I'll send them something nice :-)

----Rich near Sac, CAlifornia

So:

Pin 31 to pin 42 (GND) to go into the test mode. (31 is labeled TEST MODE CONNECTOR in FSM).... While in TEST MODE, with engine OFF, IGNITION power ON, the ECU light shows specification code (in my case, code 5). The fuel pump turns on/off intermittently. This is normal according to the manual

Pin 39 to pin 42. To clear the memory connect (39 is labeled CLEAR MEMORY in FSM). I have not got the clear memory mode to work.

There is also READ MEMORY mode... Do you know which pin this would be on the ECU?

Rich

You said "put 37 to 42 to READ mode"

The connector on the end of the harness that goes to the ECU does not have a pin 37 (no conductor at that position, no wire coming out the other side).. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rich in Sac

So:

Pin 31 to pin 42 (GND) to go into the test mode. (31 is labeled TEST MODE CONNECTOR in FSM).... While in TEST MODE, with engine OFF, IGNITION power ON, the ECU light shows specification code (in my case, code 5). The fuel pump turns on/off intermittently. This is normal according to the manual

Pin 39 to pin 42. To clear the memory connect (39 is labeled CLEAR MEMORY in FSM). I have not got the clear memory mode to work.

There is also READ MEMORY mode... Do you know which pin this would be on the ECU?

Rich

Pin 31 to ground = "test mode" or "d-check" Only displays ACTIVE faults, not past or intermittent ones.

Pin 39 to ground = "read mode" , outputs past stored codes.....more

useful finding intermittent problems than D-check.

Both 31 and 39 connected to ground = "clear memory" Hook up both to ground, start and run engine for 30 seconds over 2k rpm, drive 1mph to trigger speed sensor or you will get a code for that that won't clear.

RE: Gloyale

Thanks a bunch! I will try this later.

I don't have a speed sensor in the vehicle yet... It's gotta be some sort of magnetic switch mounted to the frame, and a magnet on the axle or something? Maybe within the speedometer? (this is a transplant into a VW bus)

I would like to put a speed sensor on the vehicle. Do you guys know how many pulses the sensor should send the computer per ?MPH? or ?AXLE ROTATION? so I can mount one? I have a magnetic switch and some magnets, I just don't know what kinda RPM it sends back to the computer.

Rich

RE: Gloyale

Thanks a bunch! I will try this later.

I don't have a speed sensor in the vehicle yet... It's gotta be some sort of magnetic switch mounted to the frame, and a magnet on the axle or something? Maybe within the speedometer? (this is a transplant into a VW bus)

I would like to put a speed sensor on the vehicle. Do you guys know how many pulses the sensor should send the computer per ?MPH? or ?AXLE ROTATION? so I can mount one? I have a magnetic switch and some magnets, I just don't know what kinda RPM it sends back to the computer.

Rich

4 pulses for each revolution of the speedo cable.

Some people have used a generator that puts out about a 35 mph pulse? works to keep the puter happy.

Thanks for the info... Does the speed sensor pulse = Speed Sensor line on ECU to GROUND?

Making a 35mph pulse generator is an interesting idea... The ECU is supposed to shut off the injector if you're going X ammount of MPH, Throttle isn't pushed down (to save gas while coasting)

If a pulse generator is hooked up, telling ECU the vehicle is always moving, won't the injector fail to open and give it gas? IE, fire up the vehicle, drive 5mph up hill, the injector should stop opening (getting 35mph signal), and engine would stop running?

Rich