Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here - 78 BRAT

Hi, i'm new to USMB but not to Subaru. I've had a couple WRX's including a 2002 WRB sedan with a full STi swap running methanol.

Anyway, I just aquired a 1978 Brat Dl with no cancer that runs and drives excellent - it'll cruize at 70 all day long. It hadn't been licensed since 2006 or 2007 but it went right through Oregon DEQ (the tech was amazed). Anyway, it has a few little dents but i'm hoping to do the bodywork and paint it WRB soon - the idea is to make it look something like the model in this link: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=540081

I'm local to the Portland Oregon area and it looks like there are a lot of USMB users with older subies around here - I look forward to meeting you guys.

-Tim

Here's a pic of my bro driving with Cmiller in the passenger seat:

img0340j.jpg

Edited by fignuts
added a pic

It needs paint very bad. I was kinda vague on my description above. I want it to look similar like that of the model - I will paint it WRB, but i'd like to find a set of the spoked wheels from the mid 80's GL's and paint them gold. I'd love to fit a set of version 7 STi wheels under it but a 5x100 setup on a 1st gen brat looks nearly impossible without extensive work (wish there were adapters). I may add a wrx scoop but probably not... We'll see. I just want it to look nice since the drivetrain is solid and will stay pretty stock.

Might be surprised how nice it would look with a WRB colored decal set instead. The ones that say Brat up the side or the ones on the bottoms of the doors. Check out this one:

78-38.jpg

Only your WRB color to give the gold something to balance itself to.

Maybe even better:

81-24.jpg

I'd love to fit a set of version 7 STi wheels under it but a 5x100 setup on a 1st gen brat looks nearly impossible without extensive work (wish there were adapters).

There is a company that makes adapters. I don't know anyone who's used them yet on a Subaru, but word on the 'Net is they are a very good company. The full thread with info on custom wheel sizes is here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120619

• 3 weeks later...

I'm almost ready to paint it- i've been only doing body work when it's nice out so it's been going kinda slow. But, i've got my WRB paint and supplies as well as a nice shop to paint it in once i'm ready.

I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Well, made some progress over the last few days :grin:

img0348mw.jpg

img0353nh.jpg

img0358nf.jpg

finishedh.jpg

This is my first time prepping/painting a car. All things considered it turned out better than I expected but i'd do things different next time. It's far from a show quality job but it's perfect for a daily driver.

Still need to Rhinoline the bed and get the bumpers on - it never ends.....