Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Hub needs to be replace!!!! Help

I have a 90' Legacy FWD ABS Beauty.

The bearing has been making a loud sound for four months now maybe more, so its time to replace it. I'm planning on buying the hub, so I want to make sure i buy the right part so if anyone can tell me which is the part #, since i have ABS i know i have to buy the specific one. Is the REAR Passenger, Is there a differences in ABS and NON ABS since is FWD??? I did find this part 512036. and if anyone could give me heads up with some tips on how to change it?? and tools that I'm going to need, because it's my first time changing a hub.

Thanks

Edited by blass001

are you replacing the hub or the hub assembly/knuckle/spindle?

if you have rust then spray all the bolts/nuts down with penetrant days before, multiple times preferrably. particuarly the lower lateral link bolt, the really long one that's on the bottom of the housing/hub assembly. that lower bolt tends to want to shear off and be stuck in the bushings, not fun.

you can remove the lateral link from the car instead of that lateral link bolt from the "hub" if it doesn't look good.

are you replacing the hub or the hub assembly/knuckle/spindle?

if you have rust then spray all the bolts/nuts down with penetrant days before, multiple times preferrably. particuarly the lower lateral link bolt, the really long one that's on the bottom of the housing/hub assembly. that lower bolt tends to want to shear off and be stuck in the bushings, not fun.

you can remove the lateral link from the car instead of that lateral link bolt from the "hub" if it doesn't look good.

I'm Just replacing the Hub. Thanks for the tip, im going to check out the spray tomorrow. i'm really worried about buying the wrong one, because im buying it only and they are not very specific with the ABS deal.

Wow - I just remembered that I have a brand new rear FWD hub with ABS. PM or email me if you're interested in it...or give me your email address.

The short version is remove the brake components, axle nut, and hub. Not much to it really. Long version is:

From the Subaru Factory Service Manual:

3) Pry hub cap off with a screwdriver placed between it and hub.

4) Unlock axle nut.

5) Remove axle nut using a socket wrench. Remove washer.

Temporarily tighten axle nut to hold hub in place.

6) Return parking brake lever and loosen adjusting nut.

(1) Disc brake: Perform steps 7) through 9).

(2) Drum brake: Perform steps 10) through 13).

7) Remove disc brake assembly from back plate. Suspend disc brake assembly from strut using a wire.

8) Remove disc rotor from hub. If disc rotor seizes up within hub, drive it out by installing an 8-mm bolt in bolt hole on disc rotor.

9) Disconnect end of parking brake cable.

10) Remove brake drum from hub.

11) If it is difficult to remove brake drum, remove adjusting hole cover from back plate, and then turn adjusting screw using a slot-type screwdriver until brake shoe separates from the drum.

NOTE:

If brake drum seizes up within hub, drive it out by installing

an 8-mm bolt in bolt hole on brake drum.

12) Disconnect end of parking brake cable.

13) Using a flare-nut wrench, disconnect brake pipe from wheel cylinder.

CAUTION:

Cover brake pipe connection to prevent entry of foreign particles.

14) Remove bolts which secure trailing link assembly to rear spindle.

15) Remove bolts which secure lateral link assembly to rear spindle.

16) Remove bolts which secure strut assembly to rear spindle. Remove rear spindle, back plate and hub as a unit.

1) Remove hub from rear spindle.