Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a certain way the stat is to be positioned? I know that it goes in upside down but is there a position for the cross bar or pressure release doohickie?

The "pressure release doohickie" is the jiggle pin. (if you mean the thing that goes through the hole and jiggles..)

The spring side goes toward the engine, other than that, just put it in there. Doesn't matter how your spin it.

Ok, thank you for the info.

Is there a way to test if one went bad, out of the car?

Put it in a pot of water on the stove. It should open around 180* F.

I have a fancy thing that attaches to my DMM for measuring water temp... But candy thermometer would work great too.

FWIW before replacing my thermostat I put both the orig Subie and the new one in a pot. The deal is to suspend them, I thought, so they were suspended by a small wire on a cross piece so they only contacted water. Idea is to not have the element directly upon the pot base, only reacting to liquid temp.

I saw the Subie was slower to react than the Stant replacement. I took a relatively longer time for the old OEM to reach maximum opening. I kept the temp around 190-200 for the test. I found also the OEM closed slower, it was Very slow motion compared to the replacement. I put the new one in and it has been okay. The orig was old but there were differences in how they respond.