Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing bezel on 86 XT

I read on another thread that if you want to replace the bezel on an XT, you have to get the radio out, then you can get the bezel out, but not sure how it comes off on the other side. I'm planning on having my upper dash pad reupholstered and then I have a brand new bezel to replace it with, but just not sure how they go on and I don't want to screw it up, because they take a while to come in by mail and I don't have $70 to throw away every day on one so I want to do it right.

Any tips are highly appreciated! :-)

Just to left of the trip computer there is a small plug. Remove and remove the screw behind it. Remove trip computer and this enables you to remove the radio. Finally there are two screws below the radio which requires removing the center console to get to. Only thing now holding the trim piece are clips.

I guess I'm already one jump ahead, because the radio in mine is after-market and is not put into a bracket (yes I know I need to find one), so it just slides out. So there is just a cavity behind it, but removing a center console.......uhhhh.....that may take some time for me to do. I'll just wait to get the dash reupholstered first before I tackle that step.

I appreciate the info though!