Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Over-the-door grab handle from Legacy back seat bolts right in to mid-90's Impreza

My mom is 88, so when I give her a ride in my Impreza, I've wished for there to be a grab handle over the door just to give her another place to hold on when getting in or out. But neither of my Imprezas were equipped with any grab handles. On the other hand, there were caps in place at the right location on the headliner that I figured it was intended that some could be put there.

When I was at the local U-Pull-It yesterday I did a little experimentation and found that the rear seat overhead grab handles from 90's Legacies were virtually a perfect match. The Legacy front-seat grab handles were different, and had the wrong size screw. I found that when mounting one of the Legacy back-seat handles in my Impreza, once one screw was well started in its threads, I had to push on the other end of the handle a little to "squeeze" the handle a little shorter so the second screw would line up. I would suggest being extra careful not to cross-thread in this situation, because the screws are self-tapping style, and you're doing a little "convincing" to line up the second screw.

The caps you're removing have a plastic barb that shoves into the threaded mounting point in the roof, so to remove, you need to pull at the same time that you rotate in the "unscrew" direction.

Anyway, here's what the final result looks like in my 96 Impreza:

DSC01411.jpg