Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Talking about how to improved MPG?

you need new Vapor Canister!!! it would be help to boom mpg. i was buy cost $105 and it's worth it! :grin:

and pour to gas treatment too

I just chucked my vapor can in the trash, along with all the other crap related to the Craptachi carb.

Have you looked into HHO generators? I've seen one on a Jeep XJ and it went from 23mpg's to roughly 28 mpg's and thats on a 4.0l inline six. I've heard some people say there just a cheap gimmick and I agree most of the kit ones are, but if you build it your self, they can work awesome.

Running ethanol free gas can give you another 3-5 mpg boost, but you'll need to lean out your carb because E10(most gas stations use this) requires a richer mix than ethanol free gas. Ethanol free gas also gives you smoother idle, better power and doesn't harden and erode fuel lines.

you need new Vapor Canister!!! it would be help to boom mpg. i was buy cost $105 and it's worth it! :grin:

and pour to gas treatment too

A new canister will not give you a "boom" in MPG's. Carbon canisters are an emissions device and are not for fuel economy. On paper they "can" give you a percent of a MPG when they work correctly, but like Redcap said, just throw it away. All the vehicles I get I throw them away, they cause more problems than they're worth, if you don't have to pass emissions.

$105 for a carbon canister!?...I'd never pay a cent for a carbon canister, just plug your return and vent line that the Hicrappy used and run a vented gas cap.

Lots of good mods here: http://ecomodder.com/

My '94 Loyale has been getting 32-40mpg lately, with some mods and I do drive it mindfully. http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=3436

Most important mods:

• Buy ethanol-free gasoline http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA
  • Clutching Fan Delete - Added Electric Fan
  • Power Steering Pump Delete (shorter belts needed)
  • A/C Delete (Fuse) in the winter, so it doesn't come on with Defrost
  • Fuel Injector Kill Switch
  • Vacuum Gauge
  • Coolant Temp Sensor Potentiometer - tricks the car out of cold-start enrichment
  • Idle Air Control Valve Restrictor: dime drilled out to 3/16" in the IACV line, prevents idle from going above 1100RPM
  • Block Heater 400W - much cheaper to warm up your car at $.04/kWh in WA than to burn 2X the fuel at idle

Most important driving techniques:

• Not idling (kill switch, no morning warmup)
  • Coasting to stops / anticipating lights / letting off the gas earlier so you don't stop
  • No short trips, the car runs much richer when it is cold
  • Using the vacuum gauge: accelerate 2000-3500RPM at 5 in. Hg. Cruise at 15 in. Hg, in the highest gear possible but keeping the RPMs above ~1800 (volumetric efficiency).
  • Look for routes that allow you to cruise at 45-55 without stopping

graph3436.gif

Edited by dennyt

Wen you uae a hho generater on fuel injection you need to do something to the o2 sensor I forgot wat it is, but I know if you use hho it burns cleaner and the o2 sensor richens the mix so its lucky if you see any increase at all, I have a friend that made a hho generator but I didn't really trust his skills at wat he knows. Something about pumping water into my intake doesn't sound good, the best thing like I said before would be a vapor carb, if anyone wants ill dig up my books and post some plans on how to build them, some claim 100 mpg to 200

I know the flaming is coming but here it is anyway. My buddy and I are trying to get an HHO business going here. Our test mule was his 2004 ram 1500.We saw a constant 30% increase in MPG according to the built in overhead comp backed up by keeping track of mileage, and fuel purchase records. Most of the time pulling a box trailer with tools. We believe it would have been better with putting the O2 sensor in a well. We have an add on chip now that spoofs the computer. The next one goes on the wifes 08 Scion XD. We are hoping to get some short haul diesel fleet interest going next. We are going to offer a 30% increase gaurantee. If you don't see it we take our equipment back, and refund all your money. We know it works.

There you go, I know carbed vehicles are easier to put a hho generators on, I was going to build one but I haven't had the time to mess with different variables to see wat got the most mpg increase. How much increase do you believe a subaru will get with hho?

Wen you uae a hho generater on fuel injection you need to do something to the o2 sensor I forgot wat it is, but I know if you use hho it burns cleaner and the o2 sensor richens the mix so its lucky if you see any increase at all, I have a friend that made a hho generator but I didn't really trust his skills at wat he knows. Something about pumping water into my intake doesn't sound good, the best thing like I said before would be a vapor carb, if anyone wants ill dig up my books and post some plans on how to build them, some claim 100 mpg to 200

As I recall he plumbed both H2 and O2 lines into the intake system upstream of the throttle body and acted solely as a passive HHO system. If it produces more, you get more power and efficiency(better MPG's), if it produces less(mainly low air temps) than it gets normal MPG's. The only reason an HHO system would affect an O2 sensor is a misfire. An HHO generator adds both fuel and oxidizer to the air in perfect ratio, so its seperate from the gasoline system altogether, it just runs in the backround. The water thats formed in the combustion chamber will prevent detonation and help clean things though. Water injection systems have come from the factory on some of the trucks I've worked on in the past.

A good HHO generator requires alot of homework and a good understanding of how the system works. Its not a "spend $100 at Home Depot" deal. A power management circuit has to be made to prevent a cascade effect, which would draw to much power. The proper electrolyte has to be used and the PH levels mantained. The proper grades of stainless are essential too.

Its all do-able and it does work. Ever since I heard about HHO generators, I assumed it was "Hippie Hope Science" and ran on patchouli and bad B.O., then I saw one on a Jeep of all things and the guy kept very stringent records of MPG's and everything done. It was years ago, but I remember he said it took a good year to get dialed in right. I was impressed!

There you go, I know carbed vehicles are easier to put a hho generators on, I was going to build one but I haven't had the time to mess with different variables to see wat got the most mpg increase. How much increase do you believe a subaru will get with hho?

Depends on the Subaru and how the HHO generator is put together. Most of the aftermarket kits I've seen are junk and a few may work, but since the standard for a good HHO generator is homemade, the standard is custom. You could see no increase or you could see a big increase, just depends on how its built.

I know the flaming is coming but here it is anyway. My buddy and I are trying to get an HHO business going here. Our test mule was his 2004 ram 1500.We saw a constant 30% increase in MPG according to the built in overhead comp backed up by keeping track of mileage, and fuel purchase records. Most of the time pulling a box trailer with tools. We believe it would have been better with putting the O2 sensor in a well. We have an add on chip now that spoofs the computer. The next one goes on the wifes 08 Scion XD. We are hoping to get some short haul diesel fleet interest going next. We are going to offer a 30% increase gaurantee. If you don't see it we take our equipment back, and refund all your money. We know it works.

If its gas, you already have one, if its diesel, an O2 sensor would foul in 2 seconds of use and become useless.

• 2 weeks later...
Holler NorthernWestern;

my suba is 87' wagon 5speed shift and EA82.

my best high is MPG 32 and over 450 miles by 14Gal. but i need to know what else parts for improved mpg??

So far; i was install for improved mpg.

*Oxygen Sensor, BOSH.

*Weber Carb 32/34.

*Fuel Filter, FRAM.

*Spark Plug, NGK G-power.

*Spark Plug wire, NKG.

*Band tires 34PSI for summer & 32PSI for Winter.

*5-30W oil. (only)

*No ARCO gas station.

*No leaky oil on the motor.

*Check no crack/leaky hose on the motor.

someone or everyone said that, try to install for new improved MPG-

Fuel Pump (if that would be work?),

Distributor (it's make a sense but alot of $),

and what else, humm??

come on, bring on for improved mpg on old Subaru!

:headbang:

You might ditch the carb on that EA82 and go SPFI,

Recently, on my new to me '91 Loyale, I fixed some FI issues, fixed the cooling system, changed the plugs and the oil, drove out to my local Pick'nPull to see what they had. 40 miles out, 40 miles back, mostly straight back road, held 3k RPM, where the cars seems to want to cruise, got 39.6 mpg. This last weekend, had to go to a funeral, mostly freeway at about 80 mph, 3 people in the car, "no mercy" driving, including about 10 miles uphill with foot to the floor, 405.3 miles, 29.93 mpg..

The PO had warned me that the car overheats on long uphill pulls, but a T-stat and new radiator cap fixed that completely, it did the long grade flat out, needle never went above the 1st third of the gauge.

You might ditch the Weber and try the EFI, it doesn't make a lot of power, but I'm impressed with the mileage.

At the current price of gasoline and diesel, my Soob is cheaper to operate than my Mercedes 240D, and gets better mileage to boot. The Soob will revert to iron oxide and the Merc will still be running, but not on my watch...