Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone into a wrench alliance in Van,BC?

I would be interested in beng part of this. Is Terrace far enough out of town for you? There are dozens of EA82's on the road up here, but nothing in the junkers. I would be more interested in knowing of possible sources of parts.

The best source I know of is Aldergrove Autowrecking. Not cheap, but they have lots of Subarus. There is supposed to be a place on the Island, as well. None of the other wreckers I have contacted have had anything, even the big ones down in Surrey.

It would be good to know of retail sources of parts,too. Maybe find a sympathetic aftermarket outfit and buy all our parts through them?

Some interesting possibilities, here. BC Subaru owners, unite!

sweet!

i am in!

i have been waiting for something like this to come along... maybe once we get a few people we could have a meet and greet or something?

any of you people going down to the wcss in oregen in the summer? i wanna go and it would be good if we caravaned... it would make my parents a lot happier...

i don't have my licence yet so i haven't had the time to go look at wreckers... won't get my licence till the summer...

any of you guys around the Coquitlam area?? in the tri-city area?

It might take me a while to hook up with you guys. 1400 km is kind of far to go for a beer!

There was that fellow out by UBC, too, Scoobydoo. Doesn't sound like he's into personal wrenching, though, maybe hook up with him and convert him!

I see there is a member called VanIslRu from Comox, and Bushbasher, from Sooke.

rguyver is in Kelowna, and Hodaka rider in Nelson.

Maybe PM them?

Doesn't look like enough for a good discount, though.

yeah,my idea is to pool our local and not so local resources on this side of the border.Bringing parts across the border is tougher these days than importing a mad cow!Washington and Oregon have all these parts and aftermarket resources as well as a huge pool of talented owners,some of that must trickle up here from time to time.Even the best mechanics Ive met up here get nervous around the older subes cause all theyre used to are legacies and imprezas,and people usually want them to be lower and faster(the nerve!)not higher and stronger.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. Haven't been on the board for awhile and can't keep up with the volume anyway, so finding these posts depends on what my search impulses are.

This is a great idea. I don't have wrenching facilities (apartment with surface parking) so I don't think I can offer much for actual work, but I've got a factory shop manual and a bit of knowledge (I hope) which I'll share freely. I think the real benefit is to have more people on the lookout for good mechanics, help with diagnostics etc.

Actually, I'm just about to call John & Murray Auto ,which bigjim recommended, to get my wheelbearings looked at. This thing eats bearings at an alarming rate. Does anyone know if a Legacy bearing is more durable (ball vs roller?) and will fit in the Loyale?

i would lean towards roller bearings for durability,and the fact that you cam actually preload them,assuming that you are talking about normal single row caged ball bearings.Cup and cone ball bearings have the same advantage but less load bearing surface than rollers.

So my foggy flu ridden mind says try to use tapered roller bearings.

• 3 months later...

Hey, maybe this will bring the post back up to the top and something will happen from this. I am all into wrenching on my car and have pretty much done everything short of pulling the engine and a clutch job. I do get over to Van here and there... actually more in the last while, and I was even up in Terrace less than a month ago.

RobM - A place in Smithers has a bunch of Subarus, depending what parts you want. I found some fun driving in Kitimat on some ATV trails, haha. And that yard on the island does exist :brow: