Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car starts then dies.....now won't start

Ok so my 92 Loyale was running great back in February when I parked her. She sat a month or so then I started it and dove it with no problems. Well today after a few more months sitting, the car fired right up, idled (rough) a few moments then died. I repeated this process a number of times and it would stay running slightly longer if I brought the revs up a bit. After sitting for about a half hour it won't start at all.

Pulled the fuel line, and when I put the key to "on" it pumps some fuel (few squirts) then nothing when cranking, then another squirt when you stop cranking.

So I'm guessing this is a fuel (pump) problem. Where is it on these and how can I test it? Anything else that could be causing the problem?

Thanks!

It should be near the right rear tire. There may be a connection for it under the rear seat. You could see if appling power directly to it makes it work any better.

The pump normally cuts off after a couple of seconds if the engine doesn't start up right away. The fuel pump circuit needs to see firing pulses from the ignition in order to keep running.

Replace the fuel filter first before replacing the pump.

Edited by Cougar

Don't know if this will be of any help or not... but that's what mine was doing too. I unbolted the pump and jiggled the wires. I was told they sometimes just have sucky connections... and it's worked great ever since! Maybe I was lucky, hope yours is as easy of a fix! Good luck! :banana: