Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am I just lucky?

So I must be "lucky" because in one week both my subies decided to break down. One is off at a local shop with electrical issues (i have little patience with that). And my 80 decided it wanted a brwak by having its front wheel bearing start grinding I was suposed to be driving it to the coast for some fishing this weekend. : ( anyways it always seems that when one thing gets fixed another thing imediatly breaks.... This time I replaced my wheel bearing only to find that the castle nut on my passenger outer tie rod end was striped out. I could not tighten or losen the thing. With a buddys help we got it off but we wreaked the threads on the tie rod. I guess she really didnt want to go fishing. Haha. So im wondering what is the best method/trick of getting the castle nut off on the tie rods? I do 90% of my work in an apartment parking space btw so I generally dont get accsess to air tools.

Also is there any particular brands of replacment tie rod ends that are recomended in plannin on just replacing borh of them. Ebay seems to vary widly in price I want to avoid the garbage ones.

Edited by NWSubie

Ill remember that for next time! I am starting to think that castle nut had been alittle lose for sometime cause there was vibration while driving and alot of wear on the tie rod end probably why the threads and nut were so damaged. Oh well live and learn a just another tribute to the little beast in new parts haha my new tie rod end should be here monday and ill get her back on the road. Thanks guys and she is lookin forward to WCSS in august. :grin: