Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having trouble with this post...I purchased two complete hub/housing/bearing assy's for the car to hopefully replace the rub/drone noise. Are special tools required for this replacement. I ask because I came across a site that appeared to use a spec subaru tool...I may do calipers pads at same time...

cheers

scott

I use a shop press from harbor freight, and it gets the job done, but a 'hub tamer' would be the better tool(i have never used one) as the shop press for me can be difficult stacking odd blocks of wood and using hammers and sockets as dies to do work that should be a little more precise.

The hub tamer should allow you to do the bearign without removing the knuckle.

otherwisem to do it by hand, you will need a big drift pun, 3 lb hammer, and you will heve to remove the snap ring and seals, and hope you dont destroy anything.

worst comes to worst, remove the knuckle from the car, and then ahve the shop press out the bearing. You will alt least save a bunch of labor cost versus the ship servicing the bearing on the car

front or rear?

you said you bought two complete hub/bearing/housing assemblies, if that's the case it should be a bolt on affair since you're not actually replacing any bearings individually.

swapping hubs is fairly easy if you don't have to deal with rust.

if it's the front i'd get a pickle fork for the ball joints, they are often a huge waste of time trying to get them out of the control arm/hub. if you like quick jobs, just get a new ball joint to install at the same time so you're not fumbling to save the old one.

it's not necessary to replace both if only one is bad. if the other side isnt' making noise then it's obviously not compromised and there's absolutely no need to replace it.

oh yeah, the newer style rear bearings are much simpler. it's the older styles (like pre 99 or somewhere around there) that are more complicated and have special tools available.

a call to Subaru parts department and they'd let you know if you need any seals, clips, etc to complete the job.

yours should be a straight forward process, here's a picture of what you're getting into.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_18/suspension_and_axle/rear_suspension/illustration_1/

you'll be bolting the bearing assembly onto the trailing arm. that diagram doesn't have a number, but the bearing assembly is just above and to the left of the number "18". you probably have them on hand to look at.

Rear bearing assembly on 01 Legacy comes off with 4 bolts. It might need some persuasion to pop out of the trailing arm, but shouldn't require a press of any sort. The bolts come through the back of the trailing arm, the axle will probably need to be removed before you can get access to them.

366495020101.png

that picture doesn't show the hub, but that will be in the bearings. but you're replacing the entire thing.

should include all seals. only tricky part appears to be the hub/bearings wanting to stick to the backing plate. here's a picture of the tool to use to pull it out:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/23698-rear-wheel-bearing-replacement-01-obw.html

here's some discussion on this exact bearing:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/26156-2001-rear-wheel-bearing-replacement-2.html

Edited by grossgary

I guess that depends on which replacement parts you buy. :confused: I've done a few hub assemblies on other cars and just had to knock the old out put the new in. But if the replacement doesn't include the actual hub, yeah I can see that needing a press.