Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Subaru legacy 2.2, I think I may need a neutral safety start switch. Anyone know how much trouble to change, or cost? I seen a switch at rock auto for under ten dollars, but then looked at Auto Zone and seen the switch with a wire running to small bolt on unit for 99.00 dollars. Anyone have any ideal which I may need?

Auto, wife says it wont start sometimes (twice) she wiggled the shift lever and it started.

So.....it's actually the contacts on the Park switch that are not connecting.

All the indicator lights, and the P/N starter lockout are in the switch assembly bolted to the passenger side of the trans. It's one big sealed unit.

You can scavenge one from almost any 90-98 automatic, or order a new one.

OR......it's possible it just needs adjusted.....3 bolts hold it to the side of the trans, and if you loosen them, you can pivot the assembly so that the switch contacts close when the cable moves to the "P" position.

Sounds like the thing they showed you at autozone is the CLUTCH safety switch for a manual. Neutral switch on a manual has nothing to do with starting.

So.....it's actually the contacts on the Park switch that are not connecting.

Sounds like this one ^

Called an Inhibitor switch by Subaru.

Might just need to adjust the shifter cable. The cable can stretch with age and cause the switch and transmission to not go all the way into the park position. Try adjusting the cable first, if that doesn't fix it replace the inhibitor switch.