Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 hitachi issue, bowl vent?

(carb running hot start problem, I think when gas is boiling!)

Ok, so I sold my weber carb and built exhaust to my roommate to go on his '84 Brat, I took his hitachi carb and smaller exhaust to go back on my '83 Brat. (sorry, need to get ready to sell my '83)

It can be noted, that pretty much all emissions and additional crap that could be deleted, was deleted with my first Weber carb install.

My roommate then deleted it all on his car, when he installed the weber on his car.

I capped off more lines and plugged more holes in the stock airbox when I put a hitachi carb back on my car (yeah, I may have allowed myself to be slightly ignorant here)

I've probably got a bowl vent capped thats causing me to boil fuel in the bowl and it will actually keep drawing gas from the lines and leaking it into my manifold as the hot car has been turned off, won't start when its completely flooded.

I have 2 lines I'm pretty sure one of them is the bowl vent. Is it one more towards the center of the carb's intake, or one more towards the back of the carb?

Yes I'm sure the carb is set up a bit rich for my current '83 setup, but the truth is both the '83 and '84 brats made more power AND got better mileage with the Weber carb on at the time.

sorry for my posting and lack of search ability

I think I've got things figured out more

Yeah, these cars are F'd anyway without all the proper stock vacuum lines and crap hooked up to the Hitachi carbs, AREN'T they.

The stock Hitachi can run pretty much stripped down - but you have to be careful about how you hookup stuff and if you have one that needs the feedback computer there are some serious challenges for most mechanics. I'm fairly confident that with a wideband O2 sensor and some trial & error I could orifice the metering ports well enough that it would run pretty decent overall. I don't expect most people that would want to try and run the Hitachi have that kind of equipment or skill though.

GD

Ran like CRAP after I opened up what I thought was the bowl vent,

then another good mechanic friend down here helped me figure it out.

Bowl vent was the other of 2 lines I thought it was.

Runs ok now.

Good enough for the situation, but if I was ever going to keep another of these cars with the engine I wouldn't go ANYTHING but the Weber 32/36.

• 11 months later...