Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Forester tach speedo odometer stopped working

Battery got just about flat about a week ago. Boosted with cables. Donor car was not running at any time. Positive to my positive, then donor negative to my negative. Let sit for a minute, then used key. My car started, but suddenly speedo/tach/odometer/trip odometer/outside temp not working. Fuel and temp ARE working, and digital clock works. All warning lights before starting are lighting up, just the speedo/odo/tach quit.

Later, checked ALL fuses under hood and inside under dash, none *appear to be* blown?? EDIT Would this fuse be under hood or dash, and what type fuse am I looking to replace. 1 by 1? This a a 2.5X 5 speed sold new in Canada. Where to go from here before taking it somewhere $$$? Is this a fried ECU or something??

Edited by Jim B PEI

• 2 weeks later...
Battery got just about flat about a week ago. Boosted with cables. Donor car was not running at any time. Positive to my positive, then donor negative to my negative. Let sit for a minute, then used key. My car started, but suddenly speedo/tach/odometer/trip odometer/outside temp not working. Fuel and temp ARE working, and digital clock works. All warning lights before starting are lighting up, just the speedo/odo/tach quit.

Later, checked ALL fuses under hood and inside under dash, none *appear to be* blown?? EDIT Would this fuse be under hood or dash, and what type fuse am I looking to replace. 1 by 1? This a a 2.5X 5 speed sold new in Canada. Where to go from here before taking it somewhere $$$? Is this a fried ECU or something??

Nobody has any idea?

No check engine light, and absolutely nothing changed about the running of the car after the flat-ish battery and boost other than the speedo, tach, outside temperature, and odometer/trip odometer stopped working. They were working (at least the temperature and odometer were---engine wasn't running of course--but there was enough power left ) directly BEFORE the boost, so I think that there might be a fuse involved rather than anything else. Cruise control still works perfectly, so I'm thinking it isn't the speed sensor either, but simply the power to those specific gauges. Everything else, and the fuel temperature and gauges are fine. I'm using a GPS speedo emulator so I know how fast I'm going, and what the elapsed mileage is, so its important but not crucial.

I haven't gone so far as to go to a shop and pay $$$ to check out for hidden codes or the like, but am wondering if there might be something silly like a fuse that "looks" okay but isn't, and which one would that be? Under hood or behind the dash? I did pull out every fuse and look at them, but now realize I should have replaced each one, 1 by 1 with a known good fuse just to see if the temp/odo would come on. I was hoping to save an hour or so and my bad knees from someone who has done the exact same thing before:)

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved. Car went to repair shop and dash module unplugged and replugged twice, second time it worked. Surge of electricity from boost must have put paid to a wonky connection with surface corrosion on plug. Nothing wrong with speed sensor or fuse.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the thread revival but I'm having the exact same issue...

Car was jump started about an hour ago after the battery went flat. Odo/out temp display is completely blank as well as the speedo/tacho not moving at all. Fuel and temp gauge working normally.

Is the 'dash module' you mentioned just the plugs behind the cluster itself or is it something else. It's after 9pm now and I'm not keen on pulling it apart! I guess it might have to be done..!

Cheers