Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what subie fits best in a 74 super beetle

chad barker

who has any experiance doing a transplant with a subaru engine in a super beetle? the vw super beetle by the way is the same in the rear end, its the front doors foreward that dont let vw parts to swap over. the vw 1600 engine i have is stock and runs well but is 60 hp and ok heater in winter i have a nice fan setup or blowers if u will but the subie would be better. i would not need a turbo engine as a standard 81 or newer engine is 90ish hp ive read. so.... ideas were to start? thanks everone for any help....

Go the EJ22, it's EFI, reliable and a good powerplant all-round.

Steer well clear of the EA82, the black sheep of the subaru engine family.

A well maintained EA81 with electronic spark and a weber conversion is also a great package if you're after something simple.

The EJ and EA engines require a different adaptor plate so I'd be deciding what you want and sticking with it. If you've got the little voice saying "EJ, EJ..." I'd be going down that route as the EA will never do what the little voice wants in the end!

Cheers

Bennie

can you tell me a tidbit more about an ej 22- whats it out of, hprating,ect? thank you for the info and hope all is well...

The EJ22 is a 2.2 litre typically found in the liberty/legacy subarus from '89 onwards. There are slight differences in emissions from model to model but they're generally the same.

They're SOHC with a cam belt timing everything, it even has the job of spinning the water pump so you're all safe from over heating if you throw a fan belt and don't notice - not too many car companies do this.

16 valves means twice as many per cylinder than the EA's ever had. Same basic layout as the EA82 but with a much better design with the same principals.

Power figures, let me visit wikipedia for you...

Specifications:

Displacement: 2212 cc

Bore: 96.9 mm

Stroke: 75.0 mm

Compression Ratio: 9.5:1 - 9.7:1

Valvetrain: SOHC

Fuel Delivery multi-point fuel injection

EJ221 Naturally Aspirated:

Horsepower: 135 PS (99 kW; 133 bhp) @ 5800 rpm

Torque: 186.3 N·m (137 lb·ft) @ 4800 rpm

EJ222 Naturally Aspirated:

Horsepower: 142 bhp (106 kW; 144 PS) @ 5600 rpm

Torque: 149 lb·ft (202 N·m) @ 3600 rpm

I'm not sure what the difference is in the EJ221 and the EJ222 - someone might know, it could be the gen1 and the gen2 versions.

A pretty common engine that's easy to work on, easy to get parts for and easy to modify if you're after a little more poke out of it. Super reliable if well looked after ;)

Cheers

Bennie