Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solid lifters on a hyraulic cam?

If you've got MPFI or SPFI I wouldn't recommend doing it. I fitted solid lifters that I made up to my MPFI - a total *************** to get the gap right as I had to put the cam box on, measure each unit, remove cam box, adjust all lifters, re-fit cam box, measure etc until I got the adjustment right. It would purr like an EA81 with a tiny bit of chatter but I didn't have that dreaded EA82 lifter tick :clap:

Only problem was that before 4000rpm with my butt dyno it was not really responsive like it was with the stock lifters. After 4000rpm though it was amazing - pity I didn't drive in that rev range often in my daily driving!

A cam grind specifically for solid lifters might be a different thing though as the cam will be specifically setup for the non movement of the solid lifter thus have the correct cam opening depth and timing for the application you want.

All that said, dad's mate had a hitachi carb EA82 with the solid lifters - this is where I got the idea from - and it went off it's tits right from the word go. It was built/modified for rally in the back of a VW bug though!

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers

Bennie