Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car: 2003 Baja 2.5 liter auto tranny

Job: Timing belt replacement

Question:

Where exactly is the fly wheel access hole? I want to use the "jam the flywheel method" to get the crank pulley off. I have read in other threads that there is an access hole below the breather box, but I cant find it on this car. I removed the breather box and can see the area where the engine and tranny join very well, but don't see or recognize the access point Please help!

Thanks Brothers

That's a good view of what your shooting at, but the access plug I found and used is located under the aluminum air intake neck. You can see it after taking the air filter box off the car. The hole opening is covered by a hard rubber plug. When the plug is removed, you can see hole in the plate. Turn the crank bolt while looking in the hole and you will see an opening in the plate that you can slip the scew driver in to bind the rotation, and holding the crank so you can either remove or install the crank bolt.

I finished the job today, and I swear the car runs smoother now. I guess the old belt was stretching (is this possible?) or could it just be my superior mechanic skills?:)