Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 SOHC into EA82 wagon?

kanurys

Keep us posted. I would like to do something similar and am learning from your experience :grin:. Would you describe the flow path from the engine to the end and what parts from what vehicles you pieced together? I'm curious how things bolted up and sounded vs. stock parts.

sure, i have this header from a 2.5rs

AH011_1.jpg

this bolted up with no problems to the next exhaust section...

next is the stock middle pipe with both cats, cept for the 2nd O2 sensor is currently blocked off since the sensor from the donor car didnt work anyways. I may cut out the 2nd cat and just extend the pipe.

ea0d_1_sbl.JPG

the hanger for that piece of the pipe sits a little lower than the EA hanging point, so i bolted a piece of metal to the EA hang point and just bent the metal to hold it in place while i worked on the rest.

then, i cut the flange off of the stock next section of pipe (catback pipe?) and welded it to the end of that "thrush" glasspack.

wlk-24200.jpg

after that i welded on a piece of the stock pipe that was about a 60 degree bend or so (maybe??) to point right about where i wanted the pipe to exit, and then i welded on a section of the exhaust pipe, cut it to the length i wanted, then hammered on a 'turn out' exhaust tip to direct the air slightly away from the car body. its on there, pretty safe to say its not comin off.

at this point the exhaust is only held on by the header, and the J clip thing i made, so a $3 'universal exhaust hanger' from Advance Auto parts..

EXHAUST%20HANGER%20UNI.JPG

i drilled a couple holes and bolted it to the tunnel, unfortunately i had to cut my carpet in the rear to put the bolts thru, but i have another idea for that rear of the car anyways since i have no seatbelts back there anymore due to rust issues.

all the pipe i used was 2" as i am pretty sure thats the same as stock, i used that 60 degree bend part as a guide, it measured up about 2" ID.

if that pipe is too small.. someone please let me know, LOL.

but thats basically how i did the current exhaust. its all solid bolted together, no spring bolts ( i didnt have any that fit, nor did i really wanna spend the money to buy some )

Edited by xbeerd

Wow, thanks for all the info. Excellent work. I'll definitely do an eBay header like that.

yeah, the header was like $128 w/ free shipping, only caveat is that the stock skid plate wont fit around it, so a custom would have to be fabbed up. but unlike some other headers, you arent limited to only the stock small oil filters due to clearance.

yeah, i figured you meant rocks. :)

i think the most big rocks this thing will ever see is probably going to be a median in the road. haha. (needs mostly new suspension all around)

im just gonna drive it till it dies and try to keep the rust at bay being that the car is one of the more unique rides in the city. :)

• 4 weeks later...