Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The dreaded tick even after oil pump gasket exchange

Hey everyone. I spent the afternoon changing out the three oil pump gaskets. Man, pain in the butt. I removed the radiator, flushed it out while it was out of the engine bay. The crank pulley was pretty much hating me, so I decided to remove the timing belt pulley that was on the pump to therefore remove the bolts holding on the pump. Anyway, after putting everything back on and filling the radiator and crankcase, I started it up. Still there. Not sure whether its the pump or just the gauge, but my pressure starts off around 20 and then drops after the idle gets around 1000. Bummer. Whats my next step? Should I attempt to work on the lifters? This car is basically my daily driver, yet I have an 06 STi that have as my weekend vehicle. So I can pull the motor and rely on the other for a period of time. Really never had to go this indepth with any car. I've practically replaced the entire front suspension and steering parts. Thanks for any suggestions.

I ran it long enough to burp the radiator. I bought this car off a guy that kept track of his oil changes religiously, yet when I initially changed the oil, the filter looked like it was about ten years old. Not sure if someone never filled him in on it being pointless to change your oil if you're not going to change the filter, but bottomline, he was driving the car into the ground. The master cylinder and brakes were useless, I drove it back from Wyomming to SLC using the transmission to slow myself down. Sketchy. Well worth the 500 I paid for it though. I'll drive it around today and see if it gets any better.

We just resealed the motor completely, rebuilt the HLA's, cam tower seals all the bits recomended to shut them things up. If the car sits for a few days it still ticks on startup and even after a couple of low speed miles. Them things are persnickity.

81EA81, you were right. The pressure came back and the ticking stopped. Its almost odd driving it around without the racket of that lifter. Now I have to figure out why the car shakes. Thinking its some unbalanced tires, or at least hoping. Balljoints, tierods and wheelbearings are all changed in the front, and the shaking seems to originate there. How long do these gaskets typically last?

Changed it about 2900, figure I'll change it again either before 3000 or when the temperatures drop here. I live in SLC, UT, where there really isn't four seasons. It goes from 90 plus degrees to 30. I'm also a distributor of amsoil oil, so everything is at wholesale prices. If you guys need anything, from oil to filters, let me know.

Thinking its that or the skid plate, didn't really wrench it on as tight as I probably should of. I figured that I'd most likely need to get back under there after those gasket replacements.

You living in SLC? The fall seriously comes and goes in a matter of a week. No complaints, seeing I love the snow. Driving and skiing in it. What year and model do you have?

Nice. Sounds like my situation, my 14mpg 410whp STi. Running e85 in it, which doesn't help my gas economy at all. Did you get the Loyale locally? How much? I'd like to eventually get something a bit newer, just hoping that this thing can make it up little cottonwood during the winter months. Pretty much the whole reason I purchased it.

I paid $700 and drove it back from Pleasant Grove with exhaust dumping straight out of the left head and stuck in 4wd. :lol: I've put about that much in it, but it's turned out to be a reliable but quirky little car.

Oh, you'll make it up Little Cottonwood but don't plan on exceeding the speed limit. haha