Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has anyone fit a V8 into an ea82 body.

roostema4328

I am slowly collecting parts to build a RWD subaru drift car. I have an 89RX that is going to be the body. I really like the body of the RX factory it looks good. I plan on trying to keep it as stock looking as possible on the outside. other than the wheels.

So far I got a complete rear end subframe assembly out of a infiniti G35.

I plan on ditching all the factory parts in the rear. and building the brackets to bolt the whole assembly in. so that will take care of the rear.

The front end my plan was to do a 5 bolt swap with the newer STI knuckles and brakes. so that my bolt patterns would be 5x4.5 all around.

the engine is where I am still undecided.

My original idea was to use a SVX engine to have the displacement to make reliable big power and torque. but I dont know if that is the best route yet. because to make real big power I will be putting a lot of money into the heads. I would then use the bellhousing that a member is making on here and then the toyota RWD trans to match. which those things are both a lot of cash.

So I just recieved a Free 1 ton ford van. It has a 351W and a C6 auto trans.

That sounds like a great combo to me. especially since it was free. I could build the engine a whole lot cheaper to make way more power than the SVX engine. the c6 trans is bulletproof. My only concern is if it even could fit. lol

I don't think anyone has successfully completed one. It seems like a very difficult project. The front suspension would have to be drastically reconfigured. Most people settle for a forced-inducted 4 or 6-cylinder making similar peak hp/tq numbers. If you do it, though, we'll all be eagerly awaiting the result. That would be an impressive feat.

My original plan was the SVX engine. I may still go with that plan. I am still undecided. My only issue with the SVX engine would be the cost of the build to do it right. I would have to put a lot of money into the heads. but obviously there are many advantages of going that route. the major one being the weight savings. also it would still be a subaru engine. but I figured I am already using a nissan rear end assembly. and then possibly a toyota trans. who cares at this point it really wouldnt be a subaru anymore anyway lol.

My original plan was the SVX engine. I may still go with that plan. I am still undecided. My only issue with the SVX engine would be the cost of the build to do it right. I would have to put a lot of money into the heads. but obviously there are many advantages of going that route. the major one being the weight savings. also it would still be a subaru engine. but I figured I am already using a nissan rear end assembly. and then possibly a toyota trans. who cares at this point it really wouldnt be a subaru anymore anyway lol.

I have an extra low mileage SVX motor if you decide to go this route. I'm over in Spokane. ;)

If you decide to do the v8, I'll be eagerly awaiting the build thread! ha ha. Hopefully you have lots of pictures!

I would rather stuff a SB V8 in it than a SVX 3.3

The weight savings wont be that much and you'll get more HP.

I've pulled a EG33 and its a beast.

Having problems finding pics of Lumpcams project, but he swapped a V6 into a unHatched.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=146137#post146137

Edited by Turbone