Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing Tail light 2007

Ill try to snap a photo tomorrow if this isn't clear but when you open the lift gate theres a little black edge of the taillight and I believe two 10MM bolts. Pulling those out should allow you to pull the assembly out. Do so gently at first in case my memory isn't perfect but they can be in there really tight as I recall. I need to do one on Wednesday after my car gets out of the dealer for a recall.

I just did my 2001 Forester bulb this weekend. Dunno if 2007 is same, but open rear gate, look for plastic cover to brakelight area inside of car. Pull off cover. Rotate plastic retainer clip holding dead bulb in its socket...counterclockwise about a quarter turn. Gently but firmly pull glass bulb out of its plastic holder. Push new glass bulb into the plastic holder and screw it back into place.

:banana:

Thanks for the replies. I believe I have to remove the assembly as Shawn said. There is no access through the access panel. I did notice the screws that you mentioned. I feel confident that its no problem now. thanks,

zzzasy

2007 Outback, retired my 1996.

Thanks for the replies. I believe I have to remove the assembly as Shawn said. There is no access through the access panel. I did notice the screws that you mentioned. I feel confident that its no problem now. thanks,

zzzasy

2007 Outback, retired my 1996.

yep. when i had my 06 outback, I had a brake light bulb go out. Open gate, take out the 2 bolts, and then you have to twist out that plastic cover then you gan get you the housing bolts. It was NOT simple, not a good design at all. This was one more design thing fail that put me over the edge and was a easy call to not keep the car. For reference my 94 TW and all my other leg sedans, had easy covers to either flip up to get the to bulb holder, or a plastic cover that snapped out of place to get to the bulb holder. Whoever thought it was necessary to remove the whole housing is and obvious joke on society.