Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sad lil ol 87 GL sat too long.

l75eya

What's poppin' scubarus? I picked up an 87 5spd 4WD gl in Pennsylvania awhile ago because it only had 46,000 miles on it :)

That's a good thing, and apparently a bad thing. Good thing as it's practically brand new, bad thing as in it obviously wasn't used very much and spent a great deal of time sitting. In Staten Island. Through those winters....

Anyway, this is bad news for many parts of the car. Most lately my water pump, which decided to stop spinning so well.....

When I got it I had to replace the wheel bearings on both sides in the front, along with the driver's side axle, because there was terrible noises coming from there. I did that, and then took the car on a 6,500 mile round trip to burning man in Nevada and back. Now it's making terrible noises again but that's a separate matter (I am thinking of just pulling an entire front suspension out of a junk car and swapping it in later)

To my water pump issue which thankfully happened after the beast got myself and it's occupants back to new jersey safe and sound.

When I swap in the new pump, what else should I do while I have it all ripped apart in the front there? I'm thinking timing belt kit and cam seals, but idk if I'm leaving anything else out. And for everybody ready to say do everything, I'm talking like within a moderate price range. I'm doing the work so just parts, leaving me with say about an $500 budget.

Gurus help help help keep another soob on the road =) thanks in advance btw naturally to the wisdom I'm about to get kicked with. haha

Pretty much do everything in there:

Water Pump

Timing Belts

Timing Belt tensioners

All the oil seals

Valve cover gaskets

intake gaskets might be a good decent idea (they arent too hard)

oil pump gasket (often called the mickey mouse gasket)

oil pan gasket

Fuel filter if you have not changed it already

Plugs if you have not changed them already

Pretty much at this age regardless of mileage, if you cant prove it was done it may be a good idea to do it. Check all the hoses too and the accessory belts and plug wires for cracks from age.

317175_10150800205185307_524805306_20363524_760593821_n.jpg

There she is at the destination. Yes, she made it there, and back, but it did take it's toll. a few thousand miles with a massively overloaded vehicle and my back struts are completely shot now. Instead of elegantly gliding down the road, now I bounce. And bounce. And bounce. Until finally it smooths out and whoop! Another bump! Bounce, bounce bounce. lol

Thank you guys for the replies, I am going to heed the advice and do as much of that work as I can.