Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Low Fuel' light?

Heres a thought, if you crawl under your car at the gas tank you should see the wires that run into the tank, find the connector for the wires and test them for power, key on, thats for the pump???? the other would be for the light switch, grounding that should light up the light???? Not sure about any of this so be carefull, just a thought,:-\ electrical gurus chime in please........G

A year ago I was starting to see how far I could push it, and letting the light come on (needle fully below the letter E on the gauge). This worked for a while. Then one day the car ran out of gas and the light never came on. Stopped playing that game... :-\

By grounding the wire going to the light and the thermistor in the tank it should turn the light on. Check to see if voltage is on the lead if the light doesn't work. No voltage on the lead would mean the bulb is burned out (assuming power is getting to the other side of the light).

ok you want the answer?

you want to possible fix your low fuel light aka the what the ************ are you doing? feed me! light lol

at first in my 86 gl wagon it never came on but one day i tested the sending unit

and i pulled out the sending unit and let the float fall all the way down , just as if it was empty , and no light came on , if it did it was dim and only for a second at that ,

so i used the sending unit of of my grandma's 92 loyale and bam shabam it worked!

so all you need to do is , pull up your carpet in the rear compartment area,

unscrew the 3 screws, take a flat bar ,flat screw driver or something similar and pry the cover open (its super sealed with tar, then take i belive 11 or 10 mm socket unscrew the nuts and take the sending unit out while pluged in and watch the gas gauge rise and lower ,

as for you other folks out there ,

ALL SUBARU GL and loyales have a low fuel gauge !

not saying they all work but geeze!

cant say about the DL model though