Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Brighton Wagon, 2.2L, auto , power windows/locks/mirrors. My wife has the car a few hundred miles away, so I can't look at it now. She'll be home in a few hours.

Problem: the drivers side window is stuck in the fully down position and it won't go up at all. The other windows work OK. Could it be a fuse for this window only? Any suggestions on what to look for before I have to take it in to get it fixed? It's raining like hell now and for the next few days so I'd like to get at it soon, and no I don't have a garage to park it in. I'm no mechanic , but I'm mechanically inclined. I'd apreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

1S1

Since you say the other power windows continue to work, then it is not a bad fuse causing your problem. I am inclined to think the power window switch in the driver's door is the problem. I have a 99 OBW, that has the same door panel as your car. I just went out to my driveway to look at my driver's door. I don't know if the electric window door switch unit can be gently pried out of the driver's door panel or not. Try prying a little, but if not, then remove the door panel. Then work with the window switch unit. Unplug the connector to the switch for the driver's window. Then plug that wire connector into a switch that operates a different window that you know works good. Hopefully, the different switch will now work to raise your window.

If you determine that the driver's window switch is bad, you may be able to clean the electrical contacts in the switch to make it work again. If not, find a replacement at a wrecking yard.

Let us know how you come out on this project. Good Luck!

The power windows share a common circuit breaker for protection so that isn't the trouble. I think Rooster2 is correct about the bad switch contacts for the UP position. The contacts can be cleaned but it is a litltle tricky taking the spring loaded switch apart. Do it in a clear plastic bag if you try that so parts don't go flying on you. I don't think you can seperate the driver side switches. You can run power directly from the battery to the motor connections using a jumper cable in order to get the window back up. Reverse the polarity of the connections if the window doesn't move in the right direction.

Edited by Cougar

Thanks for the good suggestions. Just fiddling with the switch was enough to get the window back into the "up" position for now. I'll get to work on it as soon as it stops raining - in a few days. Any other hints at removing the switch panel from the door?

Thanks for the good suggestions. Just fiddling with the switch was enough to get the window back into the "up" position for now. I'll get to work on it as soon as it stops raining - in a few days. Any other hints at removing the switch panel from the door?

Since fiddling with the switch was enough to get it to work, I am thinking the switch is the only source of your problem. I would suggest that you spray some electrical contact cleaner around the switch lever. Prolly a wand attached to the spray can would help direct the spray.I don't know if you can get enough spray into the workings of the switch to clean the electrical contacts with this approach, but it is worth a try.

Good news...I finally had a chance to look at the switch. The panel cover part just pops off with a screwdriver, and the whole switch assembly unscrews from the door frame; but I didn't have to do all of that, just popped the panel cover. Upon looking at the "switch" I noticed that the plastic toggle that clips on to the actual "switch" (up/down controller) was snaped off on one side on the inside and was loosely attached, so removed the toggle and tried the controller with just my finger - the window goes up & down as it should. I just need a new toggle clip or whatever it is called. :D.

Thanks for everyone's good suggestions and help.

Yours, Steve

Update:

I called the local Subaru dealer and they dont sell the little plastic toggle button that fits over the switch/controller for the window. You must buy a whole new controller, $200.+ ! Holy Crap! All that for a 10 cent piece of plastic ! :banghead: