Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lighting does not work

hey guys.

i picked up an 84 wagon and am trying to make it functional. the last things i am trying to fix are the reverse lights, turn signals, and high beams.

i am not getting power to the reverse lights. could this be the reverse switch? how common are they to failure?

On the turn signals, i replaced the flasher box, and the only other thing i can think of would be the switch itself, right?

Then on the high beams, when i turn them on, the normal headlights lights turn off, and nothing else happens. however i can hear a relay clicking.

Also, all the fuses+links are good.

help!

First off, if you don't already have a test light probe to check for power I suggest you purchase one. It will be a big help in checking things to make sure power is getting to where you expect it.

The reverse light switch could be where the trouble is. Using the test light will show you if the trouble is with it or somewhere else.

The turn signal problem may be due to a problem with the emergency flasher switch. Try cycling it a few times to see if that makes a difference.

For the headlight trouble check to see if the relays for the headlights are turning off when you select the highs. If they do then the trouble may be with the switch.