Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 Brighton has less than brilliant headlights. At Maine's best surplus and salvage store (and worst source of Governors) I got a set of 55W fog lights for $15, and now I'm trying to install them. Despite the Impreza on the box, I had to drill new holes to fit them into the fog lamp spots in the lower bumper. Now I've got the lamps in place, but I'm trying to decide some things on the switch.

Because my headlights seem to point down more than they should, and the adjustments are rusted up, I'm thinking the fogs should point up a bit, much like high-beam boosters.

I've never had a car with fog lights before. What's traditional? Should I attach them to the high beams via a relay, drawing power off the battery? Should I put the switch on the dash somewhere? If so, where is most convenient?

Scomber Sanctus

The stock switch is on the left drivers side dash. The foglights should only work on low to prevent blinding other drivers. My headlights were adjusted too low also and like yours rusted. I greased them up, and but a pair of vice grips on them and adj them.. I have seen the stock foglights switches on eBay.

Also I think foglights usually work only on low because in fog normally the high beams make it even harder to see than with the low beams.

What I did with mine was use an on-off-on switch. So up was plain old on to the relay (but fed say off the cigarette lighter so that they shut off when the ignition was off; I figured I would eventually forget and leave them on otherwise). Then down was wired to the low beams. So I could have them on manually, off completely, or on only with the low beams.

I have noticed the inexpensive fog lamps such as from JC Whitney will last about a year before the reflectors rust out, at least in salty NY. The better ones such as KC or Hella seem to use maybe stainless steel in the reflectors that lasts a good many years.

I've been thinking of rewiring my fog lights so that they would still work with the high beams, because they offer so much better coverage for the sides of the road, which is where moose always seem to erupt from.

I'm sure people in areas with heavy deer populations would benefit from this operation as well.