Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear side window replacement on wagons?

You need to determine if the old window is clipped in or glued in. I am assuming that you are talking about the rear quarter window and not the rear door window....

On my '88 GL10 the rear quarter window was glued in. I tried to buy a window from the local junkyard but they broke it trying to get it out because of the glue and their delicate technique. So I ended up having the body shop change it out for me, they got me a used window and installed it for less then $100 if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

Can't help but point out your username...

Fixed glass is something I never have, nor will mess with. I can change out door glass all day long, but won't trust myself to get a good seal/not break the glass.

However, the easiest method I can recommend for removal, is to go to HF and buy a couple of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html

Fasten one to the roof or body of the car, another to the glass in question. Tie a rope or cord between the 2 handles so if the glass all of a sudden frees up, it's less likely to hit the ground. Cut the seals with a razor knife and liberally spray the rubber with WD40 or similar to help free the glass up. Don't pry or force it.

How hard is it (1988 GL wagon)? I have one that is shattered from the PO, only thing holding it together is the window tint lol.

Ha. My 87 GL 10 had it's right rear sideglass broken in a wind storm. Tint all that's holding it in too. And duct tape, but haven't driven the car like that. I need to change it, but first I have to get one out of a parts car first. I've got three good ones, hope I don't need that many:).

Oh, I've got the suction cups but have to round up the right blade. I think I'll look for something flexible, like my paring knife.

Doug

That suction cup is a good idea, hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I think I'll also go downtown this morning and nab some used guitar wire from the guitar shop... wish the piano shop hadn't closed, that would probably have been a better source. BUT........ now I have to wait a few days to even think about this repair as we got about 4 inches of snow yesterday :popcorn: but it should be in the 60's again by Saturday.

Gotta love Colorado!

I just broke the rear window in my lego, and had a replacement glass on another hatch ( the hatch was in worse shape or I would have swapped the whole thing). I used four guitar strings and broke everyone of them, gave up with those I cut a throttle cable out of another car I had, and that worked much, much better, just a thought if you run out of them!

Edited by 1982gl4

The best wire for removing a window intact is 100lb test fishing wire. It is strong enough to do the job and thin enough to work with. Get it between the glass and the outside and then use two wooden dowels to pull it along with. You will not really have to do any sawing with it. I have removed alot of glass that way. It is fairly cheap too. Just don't know haw available it is in your area. If you need some, let me know and I can go to the local shop, get you some and ail it to you. If you need the window, or bung up the trim, let me know I have a parts car sitting at my friends shop and I can pull whatever you need

Good luck