Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Don't Delete - Wiring Help??

Hey all, i've done searches, and haven't found a thing relating to my problem.

I'm buying 2 more parts cars tonight. One runs well, but has electrical issues. The guy says it's an 82, but it has the single head lights and an ECM under the stearing column.

When car is turned on, the heater/radio/cig plug/wipers do NOT work. All the fuses are good, and it seams like the common ground is good. I can't figure it out. Is there a Relay for all of these?

The other parts car is a 1982 with the 4 headlights, it's missing a couple engine parts, but will do well for exterior and trim pieces for my Snowrat. The one with the electrical problems will be for my Wife, but our Temperature is now 3degrees F. so I need to figure out this issue.

If anyone has any ideas, can you please call me directly, as I live Off-Grid and don't get into town to much to check emails.

Nine Zero Seven - Nine Seven Eight - Three One Five Seven

Thanks Guys

Ben

So I don't have a light probe, maybe i'll get one today.

I took all the Fusable Links out and replaced them with 10gauge wire, all 3, and it didn't fix the problem, so that is not it.

It could be the ignition switch. Someone cut out the Pink 5 pin connector, and spliced in the wires with a different ignition switch. I have a spare, but would have to splice it in as well, as there is no connector for them now. I suppose it could be this.

Heres another thing. I took the cigarette wires off the cig plug and put a volt meter to it. When the car was running, I got nothing. I also did this to the heater plug and still got nothing.

So heres the items that do NOT work. :: Electric Radiator Fan, Heater Blower, Cig Plug, Radio, Wiper Motor.

The lights and turn signals, Defroster, and dash lights all work fine.

Is there a central relay that operates this stuff, or is it possible that the ECM box is bad, causing parts of the electrical system to not work???

Please call if you think you have the answer... I'm friendly on the phone lol

907-978-3157

Thanks

Ben

those components do not share a relay and the ECM doesn't control them, nor do they have a common controller/computer.

a wiring diagram would be most helpful, it would isolate what these components share in common. i only have the engine section of the FSM for 1982 EA81, no wiring.

I've got a wiring diagram for a 87 EA82 if you want it. Not sure how much it would help, though. It sounds like it is the stuff powered under "Accessory", I would recommend the fusible links, which you said you checked, and the ignition switch. As for the test light (or, "light probe"), I would recommend a cheap multimeter instead. The volt function can be used to tell you if you have power, and the meter will have more used than the light. Also, on newer cars, the meter if safer when dealing with computers, although, this isn't really an issue here. I think I got one at Harbor Freight for $5-$10. Not the highest quality, but it works for the purpose.

After looking at some data for a 83 model it looks like Dj7291993's comment may be right on the money. The things mentioned that are not working seem to tie to the Accessory position of the ignition switch. The info shows fuses 5,6,7, and 8 are powered through the ignition switch. I suggest you check to see if voltage is getting to those fuses with the ignition switch in the RUN position. If there isn't any voltage getting to them you could check the wire from the ignition switch that ties to those fuses. My data shows the wire color is blue. The white wire on the switch supplies power to the ignition switch so if you jumper those wires together and the things then start working you have proved the Accessory position of the switch is bad. The trouble could be in the connector for the switch also. The easiest thing to do first is to just jumper some power to the supply side of those fuses and see what happens. If the accessories work then you need to check the ignition switch accessory position out.

Good call Dj7291993.

Edited by Cougar

After looking at some data for a 83 model it looks like Dj7291993's comment may be right on the money. The things mentioned that are not working seem to tie to the Accessory position of the ignition switch. The info shows fuses 5,6,7, and 8 are powered through the ignition switch. I suggest you check to see if voltage is getting to those fuses with the ignition switch in the RUN position. If there isn't any voltage getting to them you could check the wire from the ignition switch that ties to those fuses. My data shows the wire color is blue. The white wire on the switch supplies power to the ignition switch so if you jumper those wires together and the things then start working you have proved the Accessory position of the switch is bad. The trouble could be in the connector for the switch also. The easiest thing to do first is to just jumper some power to the supply side of those fuses and see what happens. If the accessories work then you need to check the ignition switch accessory position out.

Good call Dj7291993.

x 10 ! good call!:clap: id put money on that being the cause :)

x 10 ! good call!:clap: id put money on that being the cause :)

:brow:

I agree that the accessory switch position on the ignition is the issue. I have a 1982 Factory Service Manual and after a review of the wiring diagram, I believe you should follow the advice given and try a jumper wire to see if that fixes your problem.

good luck,

I called Ben yesterday about this after the advice about the ignition switch was given. At that time he had already found out the four fuses were not getting power to them and he was going to look at the switch when he had time to get at it. I assume he will have gotten this fixed the next time he checks in. He was busy with a dog sled team when I called. It's one of the outdoor things us Alaskans do, besides driving our Subarus.

Edited by Cougar

thanks for the update; if I can help with the wiring diagram from the FSM then let me know, but I'll need to know which body style/year/drivetrain he's working on; then I can determine which diagram will (hopefully) be of use. I didn't see any reference to a pink wire (white wire with red stripe is used but not pink).

btw- dog sled teams are bada$$ imho. :D

cheers,

I called Ben yesterday about this after the advice about the ignition switch was given. At that time he had already found out the four fuses were not getting power to them and he was going to look at the switch when he had time to get at it. I assume he will have gotten this fixed the next time he checks in. He was busy with a dog sled team when I called. It's one of the outdoor things us Alaskans do, besides driving our Subarus.