Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Right Hand Drive Legacy,Oil Leak??????

I just bought the car to use for work,I deliver newspapers.It has 141.255 miles (2.2 liter) and It's got a oil leak that it appears that it's coming from the timing covers,I suspect it's going to need new belts and a complete oil seal kit.Can you fellow members guide me towards the best place to order my parts and price.Do they sell a complete kit that I can order?????Thank you.Bill:)

From that location it's most likely from the cam seals or crank seal. On that era, some of the screws on the back of the oil pump could loosen up, possibly letting oil leak out the crank seal, and sometimes even pushing it out completely.

Get the cam and crank seals from a Subaru dealer, they are not overly expensive and are good quality. Oil pump should get resealed too, mainly to see if the screws are loosening up. So get a discharge o-ring from Subaru too.

If you want to do a timing belt and idlers, there are kits on eBay that people seem to like and are not very expensive.

Could replace the valve cover gaskets too if desired.

Congrats on the new car! A lot of us feel pretty good about "theimportexperts" kit--you can get the belt, idler pulleys and a water pump, all for a reasonable price.

And all you need for the oil pump is one o-ring (I'd get it from Subaru dealer) and a tube of Permatex Ultra-Grey. While you have the pump off make sure you Loctite and tighten up the backing plate screws.

Try a search on here--there are some good writeups from the past.

Good luck Bill!

Edit: Agree with porcupine--definitely do the cam and crank seals!

Edited by Olnick
To add info!