Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Forester 2.5XS - Sell it or replace the engine?

I thought that $500 for Valve covers and an oil cooler leak was still a little steep. Just picked the car up, I think I'll shop around a little more for those two items.

How difficult is replacing the valve cover gaskets myself? I haven't really done much more than change the oil on this car.

It's not at all difficult, but I would hold off on doing the valve cover gaskets until you're also ready to check your valve clearances. Chances are, they haven't been done because they haven't moved that much, even at 136K miles, to make noise. But if you're already popping off the covers, it makes sense to inspect/adjust them. As mentioned by ShawnW, you'll also want to get the spark plug well seals (# 10966AA000), which I think are included if you go with an aftermarket kit.

Wow, lets try a 3rd shop.

Maybe the shops up there are even worse than the ones here, I am starting to think so.

at most, valve covers gaskets on a Subaru shold cost no more than 200 total......that is parts and labor. ( add sigificant to my estimate if you are talking SVX, or any H6 type engine, the rails on those are rididculously close and make that job hard)