Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable Spring?

1979 Brat. While searching around the engine compartment, I found a spring hanging from the clutch cable. It has a rubber piece folder over the cable and then attached to a spring that is about 4-5 inches long. It looks like it is suppose to help align/route the clutch cable or hold it away from something. I have seen new cables sold with this spring.

What is its purpose and where is it suppose to be attached?

Thanks, :popcorn:

Edited by Demon Brat

Meant to assist that rubber patch from rubbing the cable on the steering column.

Have to check where my spring was. I have everything undone and ready to do and engine and tranny swap. I'll check my car later or Friday.

You also have a clutch return assisting spring too , right? That one is about 8 inches long and goes from the intake ,far end holder tab to the clutch fork.

A....no I don't. I have seen a small hole on the bottom fork of the clutch fork where the cable attaches to the clutch fork. I wondered if there should be a spring from there to the front of the car. I figured it needed something to help return the cable.

See the little hole? How big of spring and where should it attach?

Clutchcablespring004a.jpg[/img]

Look at my last post again. :-p

The clutch return helper spring - which is quite long - extends from that hole on the clutch fork to a raised tab on the far left side end of the intake manifold.

The spring on the cable insulation patch hangs somewhere I can't recall right now. But its function is to keep the cable from rubbing on the steering column.

:drunk: