Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 spd swap options for EA81?

oh wow I didn't think they went that high of a year with that one. As far as everything else is considered I've been talking to a buddy whos been doing a swap with a 5 sp dr in his brat. Hes had to get a drive shaft lengthened, clutch, and welded linkage for shifter I believe. I'm trying to get all the parts ready so I can just do the swap without having the car down for too long. Going to have to hit up some ATL junk yards, nothing down here.

oh wow I didn't think they went that high of a year with that one. As far as everything else is considered I've been talking to a buddy whos been doing a swap with a 5 sp dr in his brat. Hes had to get a drive shaft lengthened, clutch, and welded linkage for shifter I believe. I'm trying to get all the parts ready so I can just do the swap without having the car down for too long. Going to have to hit up some ATL junk yards, nothing down here.
If I remember correctly, you don't need to have the drive shaft lengthened. The original two piece drive shaft works just fine. In the case of my '84 Brat, the area around the center bearing was pretty rusted out and I elected to have a one piece drive shaft made for it. It cost around $150 (that was almost 10 years ago). For some advice and a kit to make the install easier, contact bratsrus1 here on the Board.